I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to get started
Posted by: Aaron Gennaro (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:26AM

Hi I would like to try to start making rods but I do not know to get started could I get some tips thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to get started
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:40AM

You need some background info in the form of a book or video. One I very much recommend is from Flex Coat and titled, Rod Building - How We Do It. That should get you started on the right foot. Most any of the sponsors to the left will have it.

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:44AM

I fish a lot and always wanted to build my own rod. I went to Mudhole and ordered a kit, spinning and casting kit to build. I'm glad I did it that way it had everything i needed to build. But I would wanr you order a rod building book or video first and read or watch that before doing your rod. You wont regret it at least i havent. I'm hooked now just like everyone had said.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:46AM

Tom Kirkman would not of course recommend his own book, "Rodbuilding Guide", also available from the sponsors. It is easily the best, written for beginners, has great step-by-step photos.

Posted by: Randy Emerich (---.sl.psu.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:48AM

Aaron, you came to right place! There are tons of books and videos that you can purchase for your newfound hobby. Be prepared for what will turn out to be a long lasting and rewarding adventure. Check with the sponsors on the left to purchase some of those books/videos. Kirkman, Preston, Clemens, and others have some great articles for you to read and view. Another source of information could be right next door. Check with your local shorting goods stores and find a rod builder in your area. He or she may be willing to get you started and answer any of your questions. I know I'm always willing to help out a fellow rod builder, because I may ( and usually do) need some help myself. And as always, you will have this forum to help you when you need any kind of advice. When purchasing, try to remember the folks to the left, as they are always willing to help.

Remember there are no dumb questions here.

Randy

Posted by: Shawn Moore (62.132.1.---)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:54AM

Rod building is one of those crafts where most all the information is out in the open. You don't have to join anything or be a member of anything to discover any "secrets." Get the book and the video mentioned and you'll be on your way. You can get stuff to build a nice rod with for very little money. Don't overlook the other pages on this site like the FAQS and Glossary pages which will really help you a lot. Just dive right in.

Posted by: Phillip Willms (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:33AM

I built my first rod with knowledge acquired by simply dredging the internet for info. I had to ask an occasional question here or there, but once you figure out what needs to be done, it doesn't seem all that complicated. The one thing I've noticed that isn't out in the open is butt wraps. Didn't find anything on those anywhere on the net.
-Phillip

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:57AM

I would highly reccomend Toms book and The Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:07AM

Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman - Ken Preston Rod Building Volume 1 and a subscriptio to Rodmaker magazine will be aa great investment. Between those and this board, you will be on your way!! Also, check out the Library, FAQ's, Glossary pages at the top of this page.

Prepare your self for an obsession that can't be overcome!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:16AM

Aaron, don't listen to any of these addicts; run like the wind right now before you get hooked like the rest of us!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:11PM

Aaron, if you're near Long Island there is a basic course in April. Not sure if I can link to the info, but if you want it e-mail me.

Tony

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.74.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:55PM

Shawn and Mike gave you some very good advice on reading and understanding the glossary , and library on the top of this site ( FAQs are good too ) . Knowing what certain terms mean and different materials are really helps when you get your hands on the stuff ................ Hide your credit cards. Have fun. JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Lonny Bacon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:43PM

This site has a wealth of information, When I built my fiirst rod I spent hours reading post as far as two months back. Every one on this site are willing to share there knowlage with out reservation. I continue to read daily and learn something new all the time. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learnt from these great rod builders.
Thank you to all...........

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 05:39PM

I would suggest building the rod wrapper that is available in the library. I built a variation of this and it works really really great. I also got Tom's book and read this website and looked at the ton of parts and pieces for months on end. When it finally came down to it my experiences have been excellent to say the least. I would say get a wrapper and practice on a cheapo rod or rebuild an oldie. I have taken apart 2 old rods now just to see how they were built and what I can improve on. Practice re-wrapping the guides a ton of different ways etc. I have an old 4 foot section of rod that has about 10 guides all wrapped and flexcoated on, all a different way....looks stupid but I learned a lot! Now I am in the process of building my first slowly and carerfully to say the least. I could probably build it very quickly as I have practiced enough and everything is coming together nicely but I choose to be slower and more deliberate. Cool thing is those old rods work great for reamers, another thing Tom's book taught me right off the bat. I would say give it a try, I think I have a grand total of about $50 in my tools and have pretty much everything I have needed so far(even turning cork grips). I already had most the stuff laying around the house! It seems half the tools or more are all homemade which you can make to your liking. I am sure I will 'invest' in more tools as needed..........I am sure my wife understands ;) Wait is there a rodbuilders anonymous?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster