I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for someone to prep Fuji Titanium guides for me!
Posted by: Andy Davison (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:17PM

Hello all. I just bought a set of fuji titaniums for a 9' 8wt. These are the TSGs with the TNSG strippers. I figured for 80 bucks they'd come already prepped. That's what I get for figuring.
I've never ground guide feet before, much less titanium. So I wanted to farm it out.
So anybody who's worked with these guides before please drop me an email with a price to prep 8 single foot guides and two strippers.
Also, these guide feet on the TSG's are long, really long. Setting them up next to snake guides they'll take almost the same length of wraps and epoxy to cover. So I'd like them shortened also, the little arrow head eliminated. The TNSG guide feet seem normal.

So don't everybody jump at once here.

Thanks,
Andy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for someone to prep Fuji Titanium guides for me!
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:35PM

The latest issue of Rodmaker has an excellent article on prepping guide feet. It isn't really that difficult. I built 6 rods and prepped all the feet with jewelers' files.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:43PM

I use a belt sander for mine....VERY quick and works like a charm with a fine grain belt.

Derek

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 12:40AM

These aren't difficult to prep... I use a disc sander on my lathe with 120 grit sanding disc, then polish with the dremel polishing wheel (gray composite wheel). They'll wear out your sandpaper faster but that's about it. You can use a file as well... works just fine.

Go for it...

Also... don't be fooled by claims that certain guides come pre-ground... they almost always do a poor job and require more grinding and polishing anyway.

Erik

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:51AM

I think I'd go at them with a file, there are also past posts about guide failures on these guides while being prepped mechanically, they suspected heat as part of the problem if I remember right. Pictures were also posted.

Spencer

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:58AM

The fractures were with the TLNSG's which have a much thinner strut than the TNSG's. I've never had a problem grinding the TNSG's or TSG's mechanically.

The final verdict on those TLNSG fractures was that it was caused by vibration / harmonics on the thin strut from my combination of grit and rpm's.

Erik

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:03AM

Erik

You have my complete attention right now......I just belt sanded one heck of a lot of guides on my Delta table top belt sander with a 180 grit belt. Am I screwed? Most were stainless steel boat rod guides with some Aetna Foulproof and Hardalaoys thrown in.

Derek

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:16AM

Andy,
Fuji guides never come pre ground (unless your dealer does them). From past experience I would prefer this as some of the pre ground guides are taken down to much when received. Also you never get them ready to use anyway. When received the foot lengths in a bag of guides vary considerably.

Todd

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2005 12:17PM

I have sanded hundreds of these guides and never had any problems whatsoever.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (65.209.251.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:06PM

Derek... this had nothing to do with stainless steel guides...

If you look back in the archives at my post a few months ago... I had a curious situation occur with some titanium concept guides (TLNSG) where the strut fractured spontaneously while I was grinding them. Titanium is a dramatically different material than stainless, and it turned out that I had just the right frequency of vibration with my setup to cause them to fracture... they tried, but couldn't reproduce the problem at Fuji... so this is the only logical explanation that could have explained the problem.

I've never had a problem with any stainless steel guide or even the heavier framed titanium TLSG guides... you might say it was a freak incident.

Erik

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:51PM

I've used these a number of times. Any of the above methods work well. I use a dremel tool with the green grinding wheel to shape, then finish with a unified wheel for final polishing. No different than stainless frames.

Good luck. It's still one of my least favorite tasks but pretty important to achieve a good result.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster