I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"New" waterslide decal questions
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:50AM

I have a new waterslide decal from Decal Connection.....and a couple of questions. Posted a question on Jimi's site...but I know they are doing web site/e-mail work.

1. Do I leave in it the warm water for 2 minutes? Reading the directions I think that is what I'm supposed to do.

2. Can I affix it to a sanded coat of flex coat and still have it come out great when I flex coat over it or do I have to apply it to an unsanded coat? I guess I'm worried that if I apply it to a sanded coat that it will some how negatively efect the appearance of the finished product.

3. Any worries about the corners coming up as you flex coat over it?

I think that is it.....

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "New" waterslide decal questions
Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 04:39AM

Keith,

I soak the decal until it releases. That may or may not be two minutes. I have never tried placing the decal on a sanded flexcoat surface and would be a little concerned that it would show. I have not had any of the corners of the new decals come up after seating. I do like to dab my decal with tissue to soak away excess water as I rub out any bubbles.

Dan

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.107.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 04:41AM

I usually put mine in water for a few seconds, take it out and let it set for a couple minutes, this activates the glue.

I would not apply it over a sanded finish, because when you cover the decal with finish, the unfinished surface is still "UNFINISHED" so it will show thru, I would put a finish on the sanded area, then apply the decal, and put a finish over that.

Regarding corners, just round the corners a little with sissors. It works fine.

Tight lines,

Art

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.252.205.94.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:24AM

Art's method is correct. Jimi from Decal Connection did a little demo at his booth in Charlotte. I must admit, I use to soak it for the full two minutes.

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:47AM

When I was building model airplanes, I used this technique:

Spray the model with a coat of Future Floor Finish (decals want to be applied to a clear glossy surface.)

Cut around the decal and soak in water until it will slide off.

Apply MicroScale Micro Set to the place where the decal will go.

Slide the decal into position.

Blot away excess moisture.

Apply MicroScale Micro Sol to the decal and do not touch it - let it dry.

The set and sol make the decal look like it was painted on. There are no edge lines around the decal. When you apply the sol the decal sometimes looks "crinkly" but in the end they flatten out as they shrink and adhere to the surface.

[www.bare-metal.com] (scroll down for descriptions of Set and Sol)

Posted by: Jimi Ellis- Decal Connection (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 09:28AM

If you leave the decal in the water until it releases, then you are loosing valuable adhesive. Please soak it in the water for only 5-10 seconds. Take it out and place it on your working table for the 2-4 minutes.

Thanks for understanding about our website. We are in the final stages of having it up and running. if you attempt to go there before tomorrow(Saturday) you will be hitting very old pages that go nowhere and do nothing.

For the inconvenience. If anyone ever has a decal question, please never hesitate to email me orders@decalconnection.com. My email is now back to working properly.

I have given an article to Rod Maker magazine and MAYBE in an upcoming issue. This will give complete details and tips on the ease of applying your decals.

Jimi

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 09:39AM

Keith,
I have not put the Decal Connection decals on a sanded surface but I have attempted to apply them directly to a blank that had a matt finish without first putting a coat of epoxy over the blank. It does not work very well. They will sometimes come out looking cloudy. I would recommend that you apply a coat of finish to the sanded area before applying the decal.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:31PM

I've used the DC decals on both matte finished blanks and blanks where I have put down a coat of finish with good results except for when I use AMTAK Lite for the coating. I also use a decal setting solution, when I place the decal on the rod on top of the solution, the decal immediately sticks to the rod and I can not move it for exact placement. I have other decals not on DC paper and have no problem moving them into proper position using the same procedures.

Jim, any suggestions?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster