I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weave loom
Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:18PM

I have done a few weaves with the double stick tape method and although sucessful I would like to try a loom.From what I have seen they don't look like they would be that hard to make.I have given it some thought and looked at others on different sites.I think someone had a post about using some kind of foam for the thread holders.I have never seen the underside of one and am unsure how they fasten to the rod.Any advice or ideas is greatly appreciated Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weave loom
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:23PM

Weaving looms run the gamut from simple jigs with spring clips all the way up to the Cadillac, The Wonder Weaver. How much weaving will you be doing? Just playing around to see if you like it, or have you decided that this is going to make up a good portion of your rod building time?

Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:51PM

As of now I am just doing customers initials etc.Most of my time building rods is spent on butt wraps,but I like to personalize each one.Mainly I am looking for an easier method to handle numerous threads.A simple jig would probably suffice.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:15PM

Dave,I`m making one now after I saw the $85.00 Mudhole unit.Basically it is a piece of hard wood 1/4 inch thick(Lowes in the premier wood section).It is 2 1/2 inches wide and 6 inches long.On the bottom side I routed a round groove the length of the center.the top has a disgonal row of nails 3mm apart to equal 50 nails.They are numbered by a line drawn across the board ,every 5 the line is bold.Along one side i will fasten a spring to hold the thread.I will shoot a picture and post it.Any questions feel free to e-mail me. one of the photos made the board here is the link.[www.fishingphotos.net]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2005 03:06PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:29PM

tryed to post photos but they wouldnt upload .I1 ` try again later.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:48PM

Fred,

I'd like a copy also, if you don't mind.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:30PM

I just took a piece of plexiglas cut it to a angled trapazoid kinda shape, Left narrow tabs to align on rod blank glued a strip of 3/8's craft foam down each side, then numbered and cut thread slots in the foam........that is the simple version. If you look out in the pics section you will seee a few examples of weaving looms

In short they are not that hard to make

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:45PM

Dense foam works much better to hold the threads than the spring method, the spring tends to tear up metallic threads. Email me for more info Mr. White, your email is blocked

Posted by: rich fernandez (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:22PM

I recently built a jig using plexiglass and the rubber from a mouse pad( cut into thin stips to hold the thread with lines painted on) Similiar to Kirk Millers loom.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (65.171.206.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:27PM

I recently used plexiglass and material cut from the sole of "flip-flops" from WalMart. About the same denisty as EVA foam. The flip-flops were $1.00 a pair.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster