I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Syringes in tops of epoxy bottles
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:50PM

I don't remember who it was, but a few weeks ago someone suggested that I try something.

I had previously mentioned how I don't like using syringes as they tended to get epoxy all over them when I drew the parts out of the bottles. Someone suggested drilling a hole in the bottle top to stick the syringe through. I did that and it works great! I drilled a hole that fits the syringe tip like a glove. It is tight enough to seal the hole and not allow the resin & hardener to flow out. I leave the syringes in the tops all the time and simply turn the bottles upside down when I want to draw out product.

This was a great tip and I am forever grateful to the fellow that suggested it to me!!! A big THANKS goes out to you!

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Syringes in tops of epoxy bottles
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.247.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:09PM

The whole idea is not to cut to much off the top of the cone caps. Just a tiny bit to get the syringe in, then it stays tight. If the hole is to large, it leaks.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:12PM

One thing you can get and is inexspensive are the adapta caps. Just another item to try for this situation.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.197.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:13PM

i have just started wearing disposable latex/vinyl glozes when i'm mixing epoxy, then peel them off once everything's settled and ready for blank application. sure has helped for the wayward smear of epoxy-on-the-fingers during ther mixing phase.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:19PM

Was probably Mike Barkley that suggested this to you. He's full of .... good ideas!

Putter

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.124.17.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:34PM

Jay, Billy Vivona showed me this method of measuring epoxy. Works great!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:09PM

I would have to say it would have been Mike Barkley, one of the first tips he gave me, no more sticky fingers for me.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:46PM

Watch it, Putter. You to Myles!! By the way packages went in the mail today to both of you.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:55PM

Thanks for picking that stuff up, Mike. Stores are so darned limited here.

Can't figure out why my finger kept hitting the .... button back there???

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:12PM

JAy - someone suggested this to me a while back on here - the only problem I have had is teh bottle getting knocked off my bench, with teh syringe inside of it - and the syringe broke. So, when you place your next order, make sure to include 3 or 4 sets of Syringes. I think we can all afford the $5 in extra syringes. And extra guides, grips, a few extra cork rings, a bunch of tip tops, a handful of extra blanks, maybe a few reel seats - oh geez, now you're outta control. Damn syringes!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:02PM

Billy; used a Scrap of 1X8X8 and Glued two pieces of PVC pipe 2" long on the wood to hold my Bottles does not tip over as Easy

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:01AM

The best thing about using this method vs. Adat-a-Caps is that it's FREE! That way I can afford those extra syringes Billy is making me buy!

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster