I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Repair Question
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:37AM

This is going to be complicated, so bear with me. :)

I have a 3 piece graphite surf rod I'm experimenting with. Each section is a little over 4 feet long. The butt section has been cut from the forward end to shorten the over all length. Now I need to join the butt and middle sections. Planning on useing mesh tape / rod bond for the joint. Yes, it will be two piece then.

The ferrules are reversed on this rod - butt over tip. So the middle section will slide into the butt section when I glue it together.

Question one: How much overlap do I need at the joint? 6 inches? 9 inches? more? less?

Question two: Which would be preferred, to have the reel seat mounted over the very end of the butt section, or to have it on the middle section, with the bottom of the reel seat resting against the butt section?

Originally I thought it best to mount the reel seat on the butt section, but now I think I may create a shear point just ahead of the reel seat. Would I be better off mounting it ahead of the butt section?

I hope I made myself clear, it's rather confusing to explain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Repair Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:05AM

Whatever the diameter at that point, I'd overlap a distance that is equal to six times the diameter. If we're talking 1 inch, then overlap 6 inches.

I would mount the seat in the location that I preferred for casting a fishing. If the seat does not fall on and up to the edge of the overlap, then make a good thread reinforcment wrap there to prevent a split-out at a later date.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:13AM

Is this right??? You plan on making a two piece blank by joining two pieces (each 4' long) together permanently, butt over tip, with mesh tape and Rod Bond, then adding another 4' tip section to this?
If so, I'd be a bit leery of those joints, it just doesn't sound as if you are making any ferrule. And by cutting off some of the tip end of the butt section you have effectively changed the power and action of the original, making the end product a mystery rod. JJust can't picture it.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:43AM

The blank was originally 3 pieces and 13 feet. I want to build a 10' to 10.5' out of it. The blank was cheap, but good quality, so I don't mind experimenting with it.

My question is the joint. Basically I have two options and I want to know which is more structurally sound.

Option one - Mount the reel seat on the far end of the butt section with the middle section extending through the butt section. This would be a solid joint. Two layers of blank, plus the tape and rod bond, then the reel seat on top of it all. My concern it the area just above the reel seat. Going from the very strong three layer joint to one layer of graphite blank seems dangerous, especially in this area of a surf rod.

Option two - Mount the reel seat just forward of the butt section. This would re-enforce the area above the joint.

I have lots of blank to work with. Right now have 11 inches of overlap. Reel seat can be moved, overlap can be adjusted.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:22PM

Clyde...what you are doing is past me, however, if you can get ahold of back issues of Rodmaker, there are two excellent articles on repair and extending a blank. I have a feeling that your basic premise of butt over tip mating without building a ferrule is asking for failure. The articles mentioned don't address exactly what you want to do, but will sure explain what you DON'T want to do. I would think that you would want to place the reel seat in the most comfortable location for casting and retrieving, although it's
placement would probably end up being the strongest place on the rod. Something to consider, ferrules are relatively short and repair sleeves are usually no more than a few inches long (and thats to hold a broken rod together) so your overlaps appear way long at first glance. Let's hear how it works out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster