I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transparent Thread
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:32PM

Hi All,

I want to try something I saw on the photo board. I was to cover a fish decal with regular nylon thread, apply finish epoxy (Flex Coat) w/o CP and was wondering what would be the most transparent thread. The blank is glosss black and the decal is of a Striper.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transparent Thread
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.135.131.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:48PM

white thin silk. very thin silk. gossamer? perhaps even use something other than standard thread epoxy, something bamboo rod makers incorporate. am i right, am i right???? ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:15AM

Pearsall's Gossamer Silk 6/0. And Flecto Varathane #900 Clear Gloss. According to the Golden Witch catalog. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:39AM

I did that with white Pearsalls Gossamer the other day - if you use a marine varnish - thinned a little and varmed in boiling water - the silk goes completely transparent/dissapears - not what I was looking for as I wanted a faded image underneath the thread. So I'll try again with a nylon thread similar to the blank color.

Peter

Date: March 16, 2005 09:15AM

Peter,

That's what I'm looking for also is that faded image underneath the thread. Someone posted a photo using brown nylon thread over a fish decal and it looked good. But I don;t think I would get the same results using brown thread with a black gloss blank.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:34AM

Hank, I plan on trying this with some ?pearl metallic Gudebrod. It is semi transparent and leaves a bit of the pearlescence over top. I'd like to see what it looks like, anyhow... It's the only Gudebrod metallic that I know of that is like this.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Gregory D Monbleau (---.newhav01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:37AM

I have worked with Sulky pearl metalic and it gives a really nice see through look. while adding a little sparkle. The Silk works well. I just do not like using a varnish because of the orange tint etc.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.199.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:35PM

Hank , I did that decal with light brown over a black blank . I think with the striper decal , a medium , or light grey will look good seeing that the decal is light colored . I used FC light over the nylon A thread . The striper decal was to be my next one to try , let me know how it comes out . Have fun , ayahh........ JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:58PM

Regular nylon works well. As you already mentioned do not use color presever. Most any light colored nylon thread will work. I have done a few like this in regular red nylon with good results.

Best if you wrap whatever nylon thread colors you have on a piece of scrap blank and see for yourself what color you or customer likes best, using any cheap decal from a variety store as a test decel.

I sometimes use single strands of metallic thread under nylon for this neat translucent effect.

Lou

Date: March 16, 2005 06:13PM

Thanks to all that responded. John that was a very nice job you did on that decal. I think I will be into the epoxy tomorrow co I will give it a try. Again thanks All

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.198.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:22PM

use nylon if you want translucent.

use silk if you want transparent.

all nylon has a translucent effect if no color preserver is used (of course don't use NCP thread).

i tried regular gudebrod white nylon thread in A and it of course had translucency. probably the best from the range of values available in regular nylon, although pearl might beat it. but they're not transparent as you asked for. yet the white nylon looked like masking tape, with various shades of translucency (probably because it was the very first rod i wrapped) but i cannot imagine it going completely transparent at all, regardless of how smoothly i packed the threads.

lou's right about underwraps. i really like the look of regular nylon over metallic thread. say green over metallic green, or blue over met. blue. gives it a low rider, candy type of sparkle. i've started the overwrap just inside of the outer edges, so the raw metallic acts as a nice glittery border on each end. and i've tipped that off with NCP white, maybe 3 revolutions. subtle and simple.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: March 17, 2005 07:53AM

John,

Did you put a coating of epoxy over the decal before you put the thread on? I would have emailed you direct but your email address is hidden.

Thanks

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 06:51AM

I would think that if the decal shows through that well with reg nylon with no CP,that silk in the same color would show through that much more.White silk would be so transparent that the bright decal might look a bit too much like it does without any thread over it.

I am eager to try this technique as well and think I will try out some lighter colored nylons(sunburst,gold,rust,garnet,etc should all look really good),and maybe a couple of silks.I'm not sure which colors of silk,but I would expect that you could use a darker shade of color than with nylon since it will be more transparent.

It sure is a cool look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster