I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inscription ink
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.colorado.edu)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:10PM

Hi all,

I just bought a very fine point fountain pen today that my local fly shop just got in. Unfortunately they are not carying any ink for it. What are some commonly available inks out there that work well for writing on blanks. I think I would like Silver, White, and maybe a few other colors. Are these going to be tough to find?

Cheers

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inscription ink
Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:22AM

go to an art supply store and they should be able to set you up with acrylic inks in whatever color you want. This is the method I'm going to use from now on as the gel pens just aren't fine enough for my liking. I don't think you even need to put a fixative over it prior to finishing.

An off the topic question Mark. How's the lightweight reel coming?

Shanon

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.colorado.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:29AM

Thanks Shannon,

The reel has been on hiatus for a while. I've had a ton of school work and exams lately. I also just started a second job working in another machine shop. This shop has two nice big CNC machines that I'll be using next week (spring break) to build my reels. In addition to all this I have also been building a couple sets of titanium saltwater reel seats for a local fly shop. :-)

I'll post some updates and pictures when I have more news.

P.S. I also plan on taking a series of pictures start to finish as I machine my reels!

Mark

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:21AM

Michaels or any other craft store would have the standard silver and gold metallic inks. White should be there as well.

I use a caligrapher's pen for most of my inscriptions and find that the silver ink is the best stuff. Writes on both glossy and matte surfaces with no problem. The gold is less forgiving on glossy surfaces but can be used. The metallic particles, whatever they are, seem to be larger in the gold ink than the silver ink and doesn't flow quite as well. The white ink has to be used on matte or sanded surfaces. No go on any glossy surface.

Once dry, they all can be finished over directly. You can also get decal sheets and write on these, then transfer to the rod if you have trouble writing on the blank directly.

Tight wraps.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster