I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Snake Guides for Saltwater
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 06:00PM

Is this OK that I say saltwater and not salt water?

Does anyone have experience with building and/or using rods with single foot guides in saltwater? I am looking for something not too high profile, preferrably made anywhere but Asia, available in sizes and strengths to be used on a 7 weight, and of course, something that will not lose its finish after repeated casts in...saltwater. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Snake Guides for Saltwater
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 06:16PM

REC Recoil heavy wire titanium single foots with Amtack Titan titanium strippers would I think be a great set up. Something like #16, 12, 4, 3 2,2, and the rest 1s would probably work well.

Spencer

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 15, 2005 06:31PM

Because it is a 7 weight you should be using SF titanium ceramics. No reason to limit yourself with wire guides.

Date: March 15, 2005 07:34PM

Can you recommend any specific brands?

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:17PM

Tony , depending on how much $$ you are willing to part with, there are several to choose from . Fuji makes them , AmTac , forecast ,Pac Bay also have them . The biggest influence in cost will be in the frame material . Though I have never used them , the Titan titanium framed guides (AMERICAN TACKLE) look to be the best value in titanium framed . Look on a couple of the sponsors sites to see the difference in them . It truely is a hard choice these days with the wide variety of frame and ring color combos................... just have to build more rods I guess . Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mike Doutaz (---.vs.shawcable.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:32PM

For those of you who may not know, all of the guides mentioned in the above strings except perhaps REC Recoil, are manufactured in Asia.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 03:04AM

Hi Tony! The Recoil suggestion Spencer gave you is definitely one to consider. Outside of that, you are probably stuck with "Asian" guides. However, it's pretty hard not to appreciate the quality of the Fuji Ti-framed SiC guides...they're outstanding performers and will be "lifetime" guides for the salt.

We actually have the Recoil's on sale right now, and do carry the Fuji's but have not had the opportunity to add them to our online store yet--something I hope to correct this week! Feel free to contact me if you'd like a quote on any of these.

Warmly,

Date: March 16, 2005 08:51AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. To me, Fuji is not China, which is really where I have my issue with "Asia". They actually sport fish in Japan and I found THE most incredible fishing store in down town Tokyo. The funniest moment was when my friend from Oregon saw a book on the Duschuettes River on the wall and realized the photo on the cover was exactly where he fished on regular basis. The store employees really dug that.

Anyway, these are all good choices. Thanks for your time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster