I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning cork: mandrel or on rod
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 03:13PM

I just got done putting the individual rings on my pmb704, and was thinking this is a real messy pain. Now that flex coat has those pilot drill bits which will help make sure that the handles stay centered while fitting to the blank and the new titebond III glue that can be used to glue the rings together on a mandrel (water clean up, quick dry time) it seems like the scale may be tipping in favor of turning the handles on a mandrel instead of on the blank. Any thoughts from the more experienced rod builders here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning cork: mandrel or on rod
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 04:33PM

I like using the mandrels for my handles. I use my Jet lathe for shaping them and you do not have to worry about supporting a long rod. I use a mandrel that is closest to the rod blank diameter at the smallest diameter the handle will cover. This way I only have a small bit of cork to ream out. Just make sure you coat the mandrel with wax before you put the rings on or you will not get the handle off. Also, you do not need to have a real tight fit of the cork ring to the mandrel, just enough to hold the cork in place when shaping it and it doesn't take much to hold the cork in place.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 04:43PM

I have a custom powerwrap, so I can turn the whole rod. I was just thinking though that with a .25" mandrel, shape the grip, use the pilot drill bit to drill entire grip (I build rods with split grips no more than 3" long per section) to approximate size, and light reaming to final size. This should be quicker and easier than either fitting individual rings to the blank, or predrilling each ring to a specific size mandrel.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dialup.netins.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 05:40PM

I went with a lathe after mulling it over for a couple years. The final straw was damaging a good blank when forming the grip. I see experts here do it both ways with success. But, now with a lathe and mandrels, my handles are much nicer, there's less mess, and less chance for me to damage a blank.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 06:56PM

I much prefer doing them on a mandrel. I use Andy Dear's mandrels on a turncrafter lathe and turn/shape them on the lathe. I prefer to glue/clamp them on a piece of all-thread (waxed) then put them on Andy's mandrel for the lathe. Like Mike said, size it so you have a minimum of reaming.

By the way, check Andy's new mandrels. They are great!!!! No more epoxy/tape, etc to hold your work on.

Mike

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:01PM

Mandrels.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:07PM

Have done it both ways.... Mandrels!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Troy Bieger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:37PM

I can speak from very recent personal experience here. Neil is right!!! Potential damage to the blank is a real consideration.

I just used my homemade, drill-powered "lathe" on my homemade wrapping set up. The tip end of the blank kept jumping out of the supports so I used a flannel covered rubber band to LOOSELY hold the blank in place while turning.

The result?...

I had a 3" scuffed area on the blank where my hold down had been. It didn't ruin the blank but I sure wasn't happy about it as I had about 3 hours labor in prepping the blank that looked great prior to turning my handle.

Next go, I have decided to get a mandrel from Andy Dear and keep my blanks beautifully smooth and glossy.

~Troy

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:47PM

Mandrels, hands down on any decent lathe.

The work spins truer with no worries about damaging the blank. I can also separate the area where I turn grips from where I wrap and finish. This works best for me.

I also found a new clamp system for cork on mandrels.

I use one of the bar style woodworking clamp and drilled holes in the clamp faces (plastic). Insert the glued up rings on the mandrel and then clamp to the desired pressure. This is way easier than the 2-boards and length of allthread.

Good luck!

Terry
Terry's Custom Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:18PM

Her's a pic of a clamp like the one Terry is talking about. Works great!!!
[www.fishingphotos.net]

Mike

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:42PM

Mandrels... hands down. I'd recommend having a good assortment of them though so you can minimize your reaming as some have stated.

I also have used Mike's idea about drilling holes in the ends of my clamps. Very good idea... funny how simple a good idea can be. I bought clamps at Harbor freight and they have big enough ends to allow holes large enough for up to a 5/8" mandrel.

Erik

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:21AM

I still turn all my cork on the Custom Power Wrap, on the blank, each ring hand reamed to fit, glued on and clamped in a home made jig. No problems yet, but I have lots of wood to knock on just in case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster