I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Urethane for thread coating?
Posted by: John Segal (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 04:06AM

Has anyone used urethane, or other clear "paints", for covering thread wraps on graphite rods?

I'm wondering why this wouldn't work, in several thin coats, rather than fuss with "polymers", with their mixing, turning until set, bubble problems, etc.

Split cane rod builders use urethane, or old fashioned varnish, don't they?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Urethane for thread coating?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 07:20AM

I have found that the fast drying urethanes set too fast and do not give time to release bubbles. I used to put a coat on wraps, just too seal and set the thread with. But it set so quick that it left tiny bubbles in it.
Things like permagloss will take a lot of coats to get a nice coat on. The epoxy finishes will take less coats, but take longer to fully dry - or cure.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 11:35AM

Hello John
U40's PermaGloss finish will work great. Just follow the instructions that come with it. You have the right idea already that is the key to getting a very good finish-use thin coats and several (about 6 or 7) to get a low build look. Apply the first coat and let it dry for a couple of hours then apply additional thin coats allowing time for previous coats to cure to tack free. PermaGloss will penetrate and change the color of wraps so if you want the tread color to be what you put on use a couple of coats of color preserver first. If you apply coats to thick without allowing curing time you will get bubbles. Perma Gloss is very tough and will remain clear for the life of your rod. It is easy to use and will give you a light weight great looking finish. Use a good quality britsle brush and clean it well with a good brush cleaner.
A good way to stretch out PermaGloss's shelf life is to pour it into a new unlined 1/4 or 1/2 pint metal paint can after first having put in a #6 or # 8 screen door hook on the side of the can about 1/4 inch above the bottom seam. Place the lid on after pouring in the PermaGloss. Use the screen door hook as a spigot to dribble out what you need for each each application. I have permagloss that has lasted more than 2 years this way and is still just as good as new.
Sincerely
Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 11:39AM

Spar Urethane works very well for wraps. No mixing, easy to apply, no bubbles, and has UV inhibators but it does take 3 or 4 coats. I use it now for all my rods.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 02:12PM

Klass Kote is an epoxy paint. Applies like a varnish. I posted my latest technique a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: John Segal (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:31PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll consider all of them.

Bob, "Spar urethane" rings a bell. Is that what split cane rod builders use?

J.

Posted by: Bob Crook (65.54.155.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:42PM

John,

I use Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane. It can be found at almost any hardware or paint store. I buy it by the quart or gallon as I use it for a lot of woodworking projects as well as rod building. For rod building projects I dip a spoon full out of the can into a plastic cup, that way the can doesn't have to stay open.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster