I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aftcoat Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:09PM

I have been reading the posts about the different brands of Finish, and have a couple Questions.

Is aftcoat really that much better than Flex-coat high build?

do you need a drying box? Heated? Does it penatrate better since it takes longer to set?

Two Thin coats?

Thanx in Advance : Barry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aftcoat Question
Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:02PM

As far as needing a drying box? all depends on how warm the room is I guess....If your room temps are average like most of us 65-70 degrees its gonna take forever to setup.
I have a box and the temp now gets up to 86-88 degrees and the aftcote is set in about 8-9hrs where as FC is done in 6hrs. What I really like about the Aftcote is the flexibility! As far as whether it penetrates better? I cant answer that for sure. Generally I use two thin coats and sometimes a third touch up but you can get it done in two.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 02:59AM

Barry, I just tried Aftcoat for the first time. I have used flexcoat for years. I tried the high build but found that I was still putting on two coats so I stuck with the regular. I've also used the U-40 and found the same thing. While I was happy with the Flexcoat, I really like the Aftcoat finish. It seems to be a smoother end result. I still put two coats on and my rod room is normally around 70 degrees. I don't have any problems at that temp. Like a lot of this craft, I think it comes down to a personal prefernce.

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 02:01PM

I only wish I could get a rod done in two coats. I'm talking about heavier saltwater rods. I'm doing four rods right now for a charter captain. Using Aftcote I'm putting on 4 coats and still seeing a thread here & there atop the guide feet. So far I've put a coat of LS high build on top to solve the problem.

I try to do thin coats to get a more level finish, but then it seems to take many coats to fully cover the threads. I do like the Aftcote so far though. It is very flexible. It does take much longer than LS to set, but I've cut that time almost in half by drying in a heated room ( I don't have a drying box ).

I've got two of these four rods left to finish. I'm thinking about doing one coat of Aftcote and finishing with LS high as an experiment. Might cut my finishing time in half.

I've noticed the Aftcote releases bubbles better than LS. I don't get as many in the mixing stage either.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster