I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

does it have to be alcohol?
Posted by: Ken Sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:25PM

I hear a lot of talk about alcohol torches for leveling epoxy and getting rid thread that's sticking up. I'm fairly new to this hobby so I'm not quite sure about a lot of things. Will butane or something of that nature work or is it strictly alcohol. Also, if only alcohol can be used, why? All input is appreciated.
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: does it have to be alcohol?
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.78.69.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:36PM

Butane will work but you have to be careful. Butane does not burn clean and can soot up your threads. Alcohol burns clean.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:12PM

I am a newbie too but I have learned that if you use the side of the lighter flame and not the tip you don't get the soot as bad. Don't forget, don't leave the flame in one place too long or you'll burn through your thread and boil the finish.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:21PM

A Bic lighter will only leave soot if you place it under the finish. If you move it slowly back and forth along the side of a wrap, it won't give you any trouble. It's all that I've ever used for 24 years. Having a burning jar of invisible flame on the bench is dangerous and to use alcohol torches in the house is a responsibility no one should take lightly. Many builders have knocked these things over and posted their woes on this board. If used, be VERY careful with them. Keep your bench area clean of any other fuels if you use them.

The danger of sooting a wrap because I don't use a Bic the proper way is much better than the dangers of not using an alcohol torch properly in my humble opinion.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:12PM

Putter don't forget to warn them about flint flying into your finish.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:33AM

Yeah, I guess that soot if you place the lighter under the wrap is not the only thing to "not do" with a Bic. Once, I 'flicked my Bic' too close to the wet finish and put some lighter flint pieces into the finish. That stuff is HARD to remove! Just flick it away from the wet finish, then move it up to the side and slowly pass it along the side.

Thanks, Myles, nearly forgot about that fiasco!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:11AM

I use to strugle with getting my epoxy to level too. I was always afraid my alcohol burner provided too much heat in a concentrated area. Since I have switched over to a heat gun, and the finish on my wraps and logo area are 10 times better than they used to be - maybe it's just me. I only use my alcohol burner for gluing tip tops now.

Posted by: TONY FIALKOWSKI (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:30AM

I'VE .BEEN USING AN ELECTRIC MICRO TORCH THAT SNAP ON TOOLS SELLS (#ETB1400). NO OPEN FLAME AND THIS UNIT THROWS ..ENOUGH OF HEAT TO GLUE TIPS ON

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:34PM

I'm a Snap-On junkie............... I have the butane tourch from them that has a blue flame and is adjustable to very small flames , works wonders when I need a little heat ..... JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:48PM

I use an alcohol torch. Right along with the controllability issue is heat. Butane burns hotter than alcohol.

Patrick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster