I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

camera advice................off topic
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:53PM

hi. i wan to buy a better digital camera than i have now. this one is older and won't take close ups. i know a lot of you guys out there must know SOMETHING about em as you send in such good pics to be posted. thanks john

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: camera advice................off topic
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:04PM

I wound up selling most of my SLR equipment and bought a Sony T3 off the Internet from a camera dealer on the west coast. It is basically the same as their T1 except it doesn't have the huge lens cover on the front. It's about the size of a regular pack of cigarettes with a 2 1/2" viewing screen on the back. It has a magnifying close up (macro) feature and I bought it for $417 plus shipping.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:51PM

Hi John,

I recently purchased a Konica Minolta Dimage Z10 camera and very happy with it. For a digital 3.2 camera it does a great job. It's not fully auto so you can make some adjustments, The Micro for close up is very good. You can purchase this camera at Walmart for about $250. Check this out [www.fishingphotos.net] That was only my 2nd weave so it's not good but look at how good the close up is. I think you'll be happy with this camera.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:15AM

I really like the macro feature of a good camera, too. Mine was at WalMart, also, a Sony CD Mavica. I like being able to just pop the disc out and throw it into the computer and work with the photos. Don't have to download:
[www.fishingphotos.net]

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 12:18AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.241.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:04AM

asking for advice from people who have digital cameras is the best idea. to supplement that, you can check out reviews from web sites such as this one: [www.dpreview.com]

i use a mac and with cameras using some sort of storage media (there's so many out there i'm not familiar with them, using compact flash card cameras myself) you have the option of inserting the card into a reader (either internal or external) or simply connecting a USB cord from the camera to the computer's and it's recognized immediately.

have fun.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Doug Edenhauser (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 02:30AM

Randy,
I also have a Sony Mavica. My main problem is that I can't play the CD's anywhere. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I can view the pictures on the camera just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:09AM

There are so many really good digital cameras out there now it can be confusing.

I currently use a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I'm a real estate appraiser and take between 8,000 and 10,000 photos a year. One of my criteria is that the camera has to stand up to a lot of use. I also require a camera with a digital flash card for storing my photos. That way I can move the card to my backup camera if necessary. I also require a closeup setting for photos of mfg housing documentation.

Choice of specific camera all depends on what you want to do with the camera. For instance, Pentax now makes a waterproof digital that would be great to carry fishing.

When you do get a camera and begin to take pictures, my advice is to take photos at the highest quality level you can justify given the capacity of your cameras memory system. That way, when that special photo comes along you will have a very good quality photo and not something of the quality meant for email. You can alway resize your photos down for storage and archiving by using a smaller photo resizer program available at:

[www.microsoft.com]

Whatever you get, take lots of practice photos. Digital does not cost anything to take and see the results. You can discard your test photos if you don't want them.

Posted by: marc forrest (66.241.91.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:56AM

I concur the depreview site has forums for just about every major camera and you can find detailed answers to all your questions - good search function. here is there forum list.

[www.dpreview.com]

also be sure and checkout the retouching forum where you will find myriad ways to enhance your images - the digital dark room as it is called.

I use the nikon coolpic 4500 very good macro and rich with features. cost somewhere around $450

marc

Posted by: Jeff Newby (199.34.6.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 08:30AM

We have 2 digital cameras, both are Olympus models. First one was bought about 4 years ago Model 740C very easy to use, very happy with it, bought a newer one last year C-5000 model. I am very happy with both models, the older one takes great pictures even with low light. Be sure & check out the warranty & service plans, I dropped the 740-C in the sand (use the neck strap when taking a picture of your latest catch) & had to send it in for repair (That's one reason we have 2 now, the old camera is mine since I dropped it & my wife got the new one) took about 4 weeks before we got it back but cost me nothing on the repair and this was after owning the camera for several years.

Jeff
Lets Go Mets!

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: March 14, 2005 08:48AM

Cameras are subjective things. Questions that you need to answer for yourself:
1- What is the budget?
2- Close-ups, yes, but what other 'bells & whistles" are necessary? Don't be suckered into buying a camera where you only use a fraction of what
it can do. You end up paying for all those unused gadgets.
3- Most importantly...is the camera intuitive in your hand? That is, will you know just what to do or will you be fumbling with the controls when the
Pulitzer Prize picture of a lifetime is passing in front of you?
Find several models that fit your "on-paper" needs (stick with the traditional camera names, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc) then go to a camera store, preferably one that caters to pros or advanced amateurs, the staff in those places are the most knowledgable. put as many of your choices on the counter as possible and handle them, feel the controls. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable with. If it fits your needs & budget...then that's the one. BTW...read the manual, get a "media reader" and a spare set of rechargable batteries.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Michael Adams (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 02:37PM

Doug Edenhauser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Randy,
> I also have a Sony Mavica. My main problem is that
> I can't play the CD's anywhere. Any ideas what I'm
> doing wrong? I can view the pictures on the
> camera just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug, I have the Sony Mavica CD500 camera. Are you finalizing your pictures or disc? When you finalize all pictures should be viewable in CD drive. However when disc is finalized no more pictures can be added to disc, I guess that's why they can it final. What you really need is Roxio Easy Media Creator that includes DirectCD. With Roxio you can view photos and copy to harddrive without finalizing and continue to add pictures to disc untill its full. Shoot me any email if I can help some more.

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 08:54PM

THANKS GUYS you have given me a lot to digest here. appreciate it!

Date: March 14, 2005 09:14PM

The disc does not need to be finalized to throw in the computer and view. This can be done many, many times without the need to finalize the disc.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Doug Edenhauser (---.252.144.87.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:30PM

Being the know-it-all that I THINK I am, I apparently didn't read the manual about finalizing! Will give that a try! Jeesh!!

Date: March 15, 2005 12:37AM

I should add that if you edit photos with the disc in the computer, it will edit the disc, too. Best to just download them, pop the disc out, and work from the saved files.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster