I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trout rod - fly
Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:58AM

I'm not a Trout fisherman by any means, unless its Lake Trout, and a friend of mine would like me to build a fly rod for her son who just started college in Bozeman. She would like to keep costs down. Her son is a novice fly fisherman as we don't have any Trout streams here in central Minnesota.

I'm looking for some suggestions for a blank that will be forgiving of a novice, and be affordable. Not cheap. A good value.

What length and weight are optimum for the rivers near Bozeman?

I have a few ideas in mind but would like to hear from others that are more experienced with Trout and with the area.

Thanks in advance.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trout rod - fly
Posted by: Robert Farrand (---.227.198.79.bay.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:23PM

I would recommend a good all around size and weight of an 8 foot 5 weight for trout
Maybe a Pacific Bay traditional

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:52PM

Depends alot on what size of trout. I do alot of trout fishing here in Ontario and most of the catch is in the 8"-15" range, with 15" and up being a rare catch. I have really liked fishing a 3 wt on the streams here, which include some larger water, but mostly water you can wade right across.

Just last night I was going through some of my rods and did some yard casting of a 7'9" Forecast 3wt, in the dark greenish blue colour. I didn't pay more than 15 or 20 bucks for the blank and it impresses the heck out of me. IF793-2 is the code I think. These blanks are a serious value leader and when tied up nicely will fool most fishermen into thinking it is a far more expensive blank.

In a 4 wt, I love the Rainshadows and Forecast would again be a very nice choice. St Croix SCiii is also nice but a bit pricier.

My first trout fly rod was a 5wt and the choice was based on some recommendations for a "first" trout rod, and what others had recommened, and honestly, it is way too much rod for the trout fishing around here, better suited for bass in my opinion. It was perfect for the Bow river in Alberta though, wish I could fish there more often. I don't know if this helps you since I don't know the rivers in central Minnesota, but I would caution you against giving him too stout of a rod. Fishing a heavy rod for small fish is no fun at all.

Best Fishes,
Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2005 01:52PM by Mark Janeck.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:22PM

I live in Southwest Montana and the waters available run the gamet from protected small streams to large rivers. If limited to one rod I would choose a 9 foot, 4 or 5 weight rod and to get a very good blank at a reasonable price I would purchase the Dan Craft FT 904-4 or a St Croix IV, 5#. Either one of these blanks will make into a rod that is very versatile for this area. There are many good blanks available but these stand out in my experience.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.80.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:52PM

Check out some of the posts farther down A few suppliers are having sales

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:01PM

My favorite all around trout rod and the one I use 90% of the time is an 8 and a half foot five weight. It is a Pac Bay traditional. It is a fine blank at a reasonable price. I also think that Batson's forecast is a fine blank and have heard that their rainshadow blanks are also great. I have built 2 forecasts and they are really close to as good as the traditional for less $$. I built an 8 ft 5 wt forecast for my 10 year old son and he loves it. Hook & Hackle sells the forecast blanks and other components at great prices and they also give exceptional service.

Good Luck
Greg

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:26PM

Matt--as an Alberta trout fisher who often ventures south to MT, a decent "all round" fly rod in my mind for this area would be an 8'6" 5wt, or perhaps a 9'. I personally feel most "novice" fly fishers will enjoy their experience a bit more with 8'6" rods than 9' because of the lighter swing weight and greater capacity for accuracy. The negative implication is slightly less stick to mend with if he's fishing the bigger, swifter streams, but my personal Bow River rod is an 8'6" 4wt 2pc and I've fished it with almost every option there is before settling on this configuration. Anyway, go witha 8'6" or 9' in 4wt or 5wt. I'm thinking 5wt might be a bit "safer" because you mention he doesn't have a lot of experience in fly fishing for trout, and some MT trout will test your abilities with a 4.

I've got ONE 8'6" 4wt in Rainshadow's discontinued RX8 series on for a smokin' price, and it CC's out to a solid 5, so that might be an option for you. Otherwise we have a number of their RX7 blanks on sale as well right now that build up into great all-round trout rods. You may want to look at 4pc-ers for their extra pack-ability. And of course, you should consider the Dan Craft Sig III as well (or FT). All are very good values and fit your criteria of affordable, but not cheap. Finally I'll also vouch for the great value in the RX6 (Forecast) line...we don't have them listed on our site but I can bring any of them in for you and put together a package price for you.

Drop by our site at [www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com] if you're interested and then drop me a line and I'll be happy to help you find the right package for your needs at a great price.

All the best,

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:03PM

Matt,
As you can see there are a lot of variables to be figured in. I live in Alaska, and usually use a 10' 6wt, but am going to build a 7wt, so I can go after some steelies if I get in the mood, and there have been times fishing some of the larger waters here I littl more backbone would have been nice. I do use a 5wt quite a bit as well. I will echo the raves for Rainshadows, and Forcast blanks. I think bang for the buck they are one of the best values out there. Now this is my outlook on it all.........if you build one and it turns out that it isn't everything you wanted.........You can always build another. Sure you can rationalize that you started building your own rods to save a few pennies, and get a quality rod.........but face it.........your hooked like the rest of us now, experiment, and use that as an excuse to build more rods............LOL

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:50PM

My apologies, I didn't realize that Bozeman was in Montana. I assumed it was another town in Minnesota, that is why I offered my "great lakes region" experience. I agree, for the "River runs through it" waters of Montana a 5wt would likely be a great choice.

I should have checked my geography before I answered.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:47PM

It isn't easy to choose a single fly rod if you live in Bozeman. I live in Billings and have fished around Bozeman several times. A 9' 5 weight is just about right for the Gallatin River below Big Sky, but for Hyalite Creek, just south of town, a 7'6" or 8' 3 or 4 weight is the right rod. If I was forced to choose only one, I would probably go for an 8' or 8'6" 5 weight. For a beginner I would also recommend a moderate or moderate fast action, something with an AA of around 65.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:47AM

Tough to beat the Forecast blanks for the price and they are a great choice for the novice fisherman.The Tiger Eye's,Pac Bay Tradition or Rainforest,and Rainshadow RX7 are others to consider.

If nice cosmetics are important to you and you want something other than matte grey,the Tiger Eye's look fantastic in the sun and the deep olive green color of the RX7 is simply to die for.BEAUTIFUL blanks.

All of these blanks are very reasonably priced.

Posted by: Bill Drury (---.dn129.umontana.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 04:21PM

As another Montanan, I vote for a 9 ft 5 wt. I don't know what kind of "feel" the kid likes. If you can't get a direct answer on "feel" (fast, slow, etc.) I'd build a middle of the rod kind of speed - St Croix SCIII or similar.

Just what we need, another college kid on the streams around Bozeman :=).

Mr. Rhoades brought up an excellent point - the kid will really NEED more than one rod - short, long, powerful, weak .... Be ready for any possibility! Make him 6 rods, maybe more! I typically use a 9 ft 6 wt or a 9 ft 4 wt, if he is to get TWO rods.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:39PM

I vote with Mark. A three weight is plenty. Yes, you may encounter a bruiser, but likely not. This is supposed to be fun. Make it a 9 footer though.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an2.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:22PM

Matt- I made a 904-4 Tiger Eye for my brother-in-law, and was truly amazed at what a sweet casting rod it is. I think I paid $30 for the blank. On top if being a nice casting rod, the red finish is one of the most attractive rod finishes I've ever seen. I don't know how they do it.

It's a slow rod, and good for a beginner. I would recommend the 4 wt. or a 5 wt. for a one-rod fisherman. Smaller than that and you are very limited in the size of fly you can cast.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (65.83.254.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:13AM

My oldest son was a guide/instructor last summer in WY/MT. His favorite rod for beginners was an 8' 5wt Rainshadow RX7. He felt that it was not only an easy casting rod for a beginner, it would also introduce them to a versatile style rod that fit a lot of the waters they would encounter. Especially, if they only continued as occasional anglers. Also, because he was a college student himself, he built it to fit a college kid's budget.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster