I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread color and guide size for 3wt FT series
Posted by: marc forrest (66.241.91.---)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:17PM

I'm going to build up a Dan Craft FT863-4

does anyone know the Gudebrod thread number/color that most closely matches the satin gray color of this blank?

an identical match would be perfect. I'd like to mount fuji TLSG Titanium single foot guides on this little 3wt and wonder what the smallest mm size i should use for the running guides.

it appears, before a static guide test that the standard no. of guides for this length blank would be

8’6” 4pc

4.5”, 9.25”, 14.5”, 20”, 26.25”, 33.5”, 42”, 51.25”, 61.5”, 73.5”

ten guides not counting the tiptop.

The TLSG Guides are spendy but they're slick as ice on my 6wt rainshadow - making it a joy to cast - therefore i think they're worth the investment on this little fast action FT blank.

thanks for any input.

marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread color and guide size for 3wt FT series
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:23PM

Marc--720 Medium Grey is the closest I've found so far, though I haven't spent an awful lot of time on it yet! Smallest guide size would be the 5.5 in TSG, I would think. BTW--I've been building my FT's with less guides than the "standard"...I find 4 on the top section is all I want or it's a little overweighted up there. But do a static deflection then plenty of test casting while "tweaking" and I'm sure you'll find the perfect match to this AWESOME blank!

All the best!

Date: March 12, 2005 02:01AM

Thank you John,

four on the top it is.

i look forward to doing business with rockymountainrodbuilding

marc

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.240.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:01AM

Take a look at the American Tackle Titans. Cheaper then the Fuji's.
Also let the blank tell you where the guides go, no two blanks flex the same.
Artical in the Library and Faq's page

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.240.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:04AM

I also wonder if the Single Foot Wire guides are not lighter then the Titanium? There is a lot of colors on the Pac Bay ones Just my 1 1/2 cents

Date: March 12, 2005 10:09AM

Thanks all,

i'll look at the Titans and this time i'll preform a static guide test to determine the best placement.

i've seen the single foot wire guides and actually perfer them, yet i doubt that they can equal the sic ring inserts for slickness which i assume makes a big difference when casting old worn and nicked lines.

marc

Posted by: Zach Stowe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:27PM

Very nice blank, got one from Dan last year.

I know that the typical pattern is find thread that disappears on fly rods, and certainly looks nice. I took a slightly different approach and used a Blue Dun (I think #0272) with single strand of pearl metalic. Then went with the grey for the ferrule wraps. In the sunlight, the wraps are not totally gone, the ferrule wraps are also there --- but it all matched up nicely with an REC real seat with the Titanium finish (which has bluish tint), and a burl cork grip. The pearl metallic seems to pick up some of colors around it when in the sunlight - and Dan's labelling is white. The guides are from Dan as well.

I like it.

Have fun - great blank.

zach

Posted by: Don Davis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:42PM

A medium blue thread with no CP. A guide on every ferrule, static distribution for the rest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster