I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"V" frame or fly guides
Posted by: Frank Borden (---.credence.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 02:18PM

I am trying to decide between standard "V" style single foot guides or "fly" style single foot guides for the running guides on a concept style spinning rod.

I know the fly style guides are normally used but the "V" style look like they may be lighter. The "V" style may match the other guides used on the rod better but I'm most interested in weight. The fly style single foots may be more robust since they sit slightly closer to the blank and have one larger connection from the ring to the foot instead of two smaller connections.

Does anyone know which guides are actually lighter?

I am currently building 6 spinning rods with two different style guides. 4 will use Forecast "M" style guides up to the choke point and either "V" style or fly style running guides. 2 will use the new AMTAK Titans NIA style to the choke guide and either NIAs or NIFs for running guides.

Thanks for your input.

Frank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "V" frame or fly guides
Posted by: James Reid (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 02:27PM

I would stay with the low frame fly type. They sit closer to the blank so you don't get twist on the backcast and there is less chance of bending or twisting them during transport. Weight difference couldn't be much if any.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 11, 2005 04:50PM

Personally, I use the v-style on all my spinning rods AND fly rods. I agree that they 'look' lighter, although I have never had that confirmed. The v frame looks to have less material than the wide single leg on the fly guide. Also I find it easier to get finish to flow into the tunnel and around the guide leg.

Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.142.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:40PM

Heck, I would think the fly guides would be a lot lighter??

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:57AM

I weighed the AmTak hologram fly guides in a #6 size, they weighed 5.75 grains after shaping. The Pac Bay v style single foot #6 spinning guides weighed 3.55 grains before shaping. Bill, I emailed you on this...

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.240.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:37AM

I can understand this. The holo's Randy have all that plating on to make them look pretty. But it adds weight. The spin guides? Holo's? For weight I usually go for a Polished guide that has no plating.
[www.willierods.com]

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:00PM

When I compare a Forecast single foot ceramic fly guide side by side with the same size V-guide, my eye says the v-frame is lighter. The legs of the v frame look much thinner and contain less material, and also the metal ring around the ceramic insert is thinner on the v frame. These two combined and I would bet the v frames are quite a bit lighter. Whether this makes a noticable difference on the rod, I can't say for sure, but I have been happy using V frames on fly rods.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.80.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:06PM

One of these days I am going to get myself a scale??

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:10PM

Bill,
You should be able to find a used reloading scale that measures in grains for next to nothing. They are too cheap to do with out.
Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: March 12, 2005 10:18PM

It's the length of the foot that seems to make the fly guides weigh more. The same two guides I spoke of above- the fly guide (both #6) needed 11 mm of wrap to cover the foot, the spin guide needed 6 mm of wrap.

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.59.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:42AM

Putter: I wonder what they weigh if the feet were taken down to the same length

Date: March 13, 2005 03:55PM

They would be much closer in weight, Bill, but you're right on the plating-it does add a bit of weight to the total also...

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster