I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix SCV "Elite" Series Blanks
Posted by: Floyd Sabins (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 09:29PM

I have no experience with these blanks. Can anyone fill me in (especially for S5F 9064)???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix SCV "Elite" Series Blanks
Posted by: JIm Rosch (---.mmm.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 09:34PM

Ive built on the spinning and casting blanks they are sweet, the people who have them love them.

"Although my questions may seem simple to some, not asking them would make me simple."

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 11:08PM

My personal favorite walleye rods are built on the 5S60LF blank. You'll love them. Super light, super sensitive, especially when used with zero stretch line.

Skip

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 11:09PM

I built a 6' SCV for a friend when they first came out several years ago. I liked the feel of of it so much that I got one for myself ( one piece Med Light 6' ) I built a 13'"Tennessee handle for it and I tape my Shamano Stradic1000 to it with a couple strips of light, half inch, waterproof adhesive tape. Very light weight. I put SIC guides on it. The stripper is a #25. I did this before I knew about the Concept Guide System. It is my extremely sensitive and I love to use it jigging for walleyes in Lake of the Woods. It's got some backbone too. As Jim said, " They are sweet ". Next winter I plan to strip it down and and put some high frame guides on it in a Concept manner. I'm sure I'll just be 'splitting hairs' on the improvement I'll get but that blank deserves the best. Have fun!

Posted by: Daniel Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.core.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:06AM

I've built probably 25 bassrods on the SCV's. Love them all. My 7'0"MLF spinning rod weights 3.5oz finished with a split grip, nub forgrip and SIC's. You can fish all day and not get tired. They are extremely sensitive...I put them right up there with the Loomis GLX although some may argue with me about that. They are also very tough rods. They can take alot of abuse. The only weakness was the green paint which wore off fairly easy. The new 05 models are gloss brown instead of matte green. Not sure if I like that but the blanks are the same.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:43AM

Daniel: It's been reported on another board that the new, brown SCV blanks are not the same as the old, green ones. Some details were given re change in the technology, and that the new blanks have different weights and slightly faster actions. If you compare the specifications (butt diameters, blank weights, etc.) given in the 2004 and 2005 catalogs, you will see that the blanks have indeed changed. Whether these changes are for the better or not remains to be seen. I did very much like the old models.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:52AM

I've built several tournament winning rods both for walley and smallmouth bass, using the SCV in my region. Professional guides also love and baby them. The performance based on the light weight and techincal features built into these top notch graphite blanks makes them second to none in my opinon and those of many expert anglers. Do one up for a sweet spinning rod with concept guides setup using those new Titan or tichrome ATC guides and nice Avid or shimano Stradic spin reel and you've got something. For the baitcasing setup, go with similar high quality guides like the new ATC performance and spiral wrap on the rod for all day casting ease and fish handling will be excexceptional.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (144.92.184.---)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:32AM

These are great to fish with. Problem is that the blank walls are very thin to make the blanks that light so they are quite brittle. The incidence of those rods breaking so far has been just a little less than the Loomis IMX series. So, they aren't the toughest rods you can get, but they are great so long as you respect them and use them as they're intended. IE don't try to flip big fish into the boat with the light spinning models. Cheers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster