I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine question
Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: March 25, 2002 01:36PM

I wanted to run a question by the pros on this board. I have the opportunity to build on a pretty unique S-glass blank for crankbaits and spinnerbaits. It's extremely light and the action is moderate yet strong. I will be building it with Fuji Concept Alconites spiral wrapped. I've been reading alot about blank construction and the effective spine. My question is this. Would it make sense to build this rod with the effective spine down towards the water instead of on top. My thinking is this. With the spine down it would lend power to the cast. The rod would be inherently stable under load due to the SW so I'm not worried about torsional problems. It's going to be a bass rod so fish fighting is not an issue either. So with this being a moderate action blank I figure by buidling with spine down it will lend power to the cast. Any thoughts on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 25, 2002 03:13PM

The spine cannot lend any additional power to the cast, the spine is the least powerful axis and the opposite of the spine, is NOT the most powerful axis. These two axis's can vary between 45 to 170 degrees apart. On occasion, they are opposite, but only rarely.

But putting the spine on the bottom will help the rod track better on the forward cast and as you say, the spiral wrap will keep the rod stable both on the backcast and while under load. That position is highly favored by many builders and I would be surprised if you did not like it.

I do want to add that strength is always the same regardless of where you put the spine. Stiffness, of course, can vary a bit depending upon the particular plane the rod is in, but overall strenth is the same no matter what.

Date: March 25, 2002 03:25PM

Tom, I guess I did understand that but again use the wrong choice of words. I think that is the one problem in our craft I find difficult putting the right words on descriptions. In this case power being relative to increased casting distance and efficency. To clarify, the blank will naturally, under load try to rotate to where the spine is on top, like it would in a spine finder. This natural rotation is why under heavy fish fighting loads it's better to put the spine on top. But with the SW this natural rotation is easily overcome because the rod is dynamically stable under load. So if we put the spine on the bottom this natural state the blank wants to be in would work to our advantage in the cast being stable in the backcast and and not necesarily a hidrence in for forecast due to the weight of the guides. Did I say that right?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 25, 2002 03:58PM

Yes, but you still must understand that the line also seeks the direction of load on the backcast and once again the spine is easily overcome and the rod will try to twist in that scenario as well. Thus, the idea is to use the lowest frame guides possible near the mid and tip areas to reduce this torque effect as much as possible and allow the rod to track without twisting, if possible.

Most of the time, with the spine on the bottom and the use of low frame guides and the fact that the rod is not heavily loaded on the cast, you can get by with this placement and achieve good tracking on the cast.

One last thing to consider - put the rod/reel set-up in your hand as if you were preparing to cast it. Do you rotate your wrist at all? If so, you may want to locate spine in that axis, and not simply on the bottom of where the rod will be oriented when fishing.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 25, 2002 08:25PM

I turn my hand almost 90 degrees when I cast which puts the reel's handle pointing UP. So I put my spine in that axis so the rod tracks during the cast. I really like the way it performs. I always use a spiral wrap so rod twist is not a concern.

Date: March 26, 2002 09:06AM

Thanks Tom, good info. I do keep my hand reletively straight. I appreciate your input. Dan

I like the idea of this rod.
Posted by: Shawn Smith (---.as0.cmdn.mi.voyager.net)
Date: March 26, 2002 09:25AM

Dan,

I really like the idea of this rod.

"I have the opportunity to build on a pretty unique S-glass blank for crankbaits and spinnerbaits. It's extremely light and the action is moderate yet strong. I will be building it with Fuji Concept Alconites
spiral wrapped."

What blank are you using? And maybe a little advice on how you are placing the guides? Sorry about the questions but I have only built fly rods so far.

Thanks,
Shawn Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster