I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultimate Drop shot blank?
Posted by: Mike Moore (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:39PM

I've managed to hack my way through several fly rods, and a few casting rods, but I've yet to do a spinning rod. So, my next intended project is to craft one specifically for drop shotting. What I'm wondering is if some of the XFast blanks by St.Croix or Shikari are good for drop shotting, or should I stick to a more moderate action? I currently use a pretty cheap rod for drop shotting, but pretty often I wish I had a bit more sensitivity....but I still don't want to spend a lot for this project. What are some good options?

Thanks,

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultimate Drop shot blank?
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (67.162.39.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 10:44PM

I love the X-fast st.croix blanks both the 5C68MXF and the 4CMLXF. I use the 5C68MXF all the time and can't wait to use my new blue guy. To save money the SCIII blanks are great blanks for the money. Also All Star makes some great X-fast light blanks that are on clearance from Custom Rodbuilders Supply. I'd give Mr. Snedden a call and see what he has left.

Posted by: gary mcmanus (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 11:14PM

Rainshadow has two blanks specifically designed for the drop shot. They have one in the RX series and one in the Forecast series . Both X-FAST and MED POWER. Might want to give them a look

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 11:19PM

Just built a rod on a Cabela's X-fast tip blank, it has a matrix butt, beautiful green color and fast and extremely sensitive, customer is going to use it for crappie ( large Mississippi type) and bass. Price was right on the blank. You will find it listed in their new catalog, I believe in the IM-7 section. When you call the order in they will inform you that the blank has been changed to a matrix butt.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (Richard's Rod & Reel) (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:13AM

Mike,
You'll seriously want to consider the St. Croix drop shot blank model 4C69MLXF or it's SCIII counterpart model 3C69MLXF. These blanks were designed specifically to fulfill the ideal for bass drop shotting.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

email: info@rodreel.com
807-486-0514

Posted by: Steve Day (---.micron.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 10:29AM

I have a dropshot rod built on the St. Croix 3C69MLXF blank and it works well with medium to large dropshot baits. I also have a "finesse dropshot" rod built on a Shikari SHII P7000 blank. This blank is XF with a very light tip for picking up soft bites with light line and small baits. The blank is 7', but I cut mine down to 6'9". This rod has done extremely well for me this spring in the colder water temperatures.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:56PM

Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast Drop Shot Blank ISB822.5 ( Matte Clear or Olive Green ) RX7 graphite. or SB822.5 ( Clear Gloss ) RX6 graphite. Both blanks are Xtra Fast. To see all the specs on them go to www.batsonenterprises.com. These were specifically designed for this application. If you have any questions please feel free to contact one of our many Authorized distributors or us.
Thank you for all the support..

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
877-875-2381
wbatson@olypen.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: March 10, 2005 03:20PM

I would recommend the Skikari P03, or the P7000 for super finesse DS applications. If you check out the rods reels board at wmi.org/bassfish there is a ton of discussion on DS blanks.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: Daniel Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.core.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:13AM

The Croix MLXF is a very unique blank. I absolutely hate the MXF but the MLXF is a different story. When approached about building a dropshot rod I looked at quite a few blanks looking for that desired hinged action. Two years ago there was really nothing out there that was made for it. I ended up using the 3S76MLXF cut down at the but to the desired length...usually 7ft. It turned out to be an awesome rod and many used it. Now Croix has come out with the 6'9" MLXF which is basically the same thing.

George Roth who's a builder who hangs on the BFHP site has switched to the Shikari P7000 which he feels is a bit lighter and has a better tip than the MLXF. Although I have not yet built one on this blank I certainly defer to his judgement.

The key to dropshot blanks is that dual taper hinged action.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster