I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

About AFTCOTE
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 03:29PM

I read in Mudhole's catalog that AFTCOTE Rod wrapping Finish is a "two-part urethane-modified, custom mixed epoxy. Non-yellowing and UV resistant. Super High-gloss sheen"

I've read many times in this phorum that urethane finishes (mostly Perma Gloss) have excelent finish and gloss, with the problem of self-polymerization (short life once opened).

Is this AFTCOTE as good as other urethanes with same life than epoxies?. Is there any advantage on using it instead of traditional two-part epoxy finishes? And instead of one-part urethanes?.

Is it more difficult to apply?. How long takes it to cure between coats?. I'm actually using American Tackle lite and I'm happy with results...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About AFTCOTE
Posted by: Matt wilson (---.uscg.mil)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:17PM

I have used flex cote, american tackle, and aftcote and i prefer aftcote. I would say the shelf life once opened would be 8 or 9 months for the small bottles. I like it the most because it lets bubbles out extremely easy. I mix it in a mixing cup, stir it up, and pour it into a small foil pan i bend into shape, not letting the epoxy stand more than about 1/8 inch thick. walk away, come back in 5 minutes, put one zap of a torch across it, and the bubbles are gone and it's ready to go. I also like it because i work really slow with the epoxy and it's got a relatively long working time....longer than flex coat and american tackle. after the first coat (which i do in the evening) by the next afternoon it's ready for another coat. The one drawback i have found though is if you wait more than 24 hours between coats, then you may have to rough it up with a scotch brite pad or you will most likely end up with fish eyes. It's def. worth throwin 15 bucks out to try it. Good luck with the epoxy,

Matt

Re: About AFTCOTE
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:48PM

I have recently been trying Aftcote. So far I like it although we got off to a shakey start. The first batch I mixed tacked up and stayed that way. I coated with LS high build to fix the problem. After shelving the Aftcote for a few weeks I decided to give it another go.

It does take considerably longer to set up than my other epoxy (LS reg & high build). I also believe that because of this you can extend the time before applying the second coat. One thing that I've done this past week is to put a small ceramic heater in the room where my rod dryer is. It gets fairly warm in there and I've been re-coating with Aftcote in as few as 6 hours. With the proper temperature it tacks up in about 3 hours.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster