I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas XMG50 Fly Blanks
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 03:03PM

Has anyone built a Lamgilas XMG50 fly blank? I know most of you grit your teeth when you hear questions like this, but how does it compare to a blank such as a Sage XP? I'm looking for a blank that will have a very "light in the hand" feel - the polar opposite of "tip heavy", with fairly quick dampening characteristics (no, or little, bounce in the tip). The XP's are wonderful. The Lamiglas Ti2000 fly blanks were quite nice, too (talk about powerful!). Just wondering how the XMG50's stack up.

Thanks.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas XMG50 Fly Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 04:47PM

Bob, I know you've probably encountered this referral many times (especially on this board), but have you built on any of the Dan Craft lineup? The FT's are incredibly powerful sticks, though I think the Sig V's may have better damping characteristics. We've got the complete lineup on our site if you want to drop by for a stroll. ;) See "Our Products", "Blanks", "Dan Craft" for a summary of each of his series, or click "Our Store" then "Blanks" from the menu on the left to navigate each of the series directly.

Sorry I can't comment on your question re. Lamiglass directly, but wanted to be sure you'd experienced Dan's stuff because it truly is fantastic.

Warmly,

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 06:16PM

Bob,
I thought you wrote an article on one of these blanks a few years ago as it was being built? There is an article at flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/lamiblanks/html that describes them pretty well. The 10 ft 5wt and 9 1/2 ft 7 wt I got from Andy Snedden are very sweet blanks and are not a bit tip heavy considering their lengths. High end performance all the way as I see it.

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:26PM

John, Yes - I've built Dan's Sig V 8'9" 5wt and I have a Sig III 8' 2wt ready to be built. Great rods!! I am definitely curious about the FT's.

Spencer, I wrote about Perigee, Appalachian, and Ti2000. I haven't seen an XMG50. The others were terrific, and I tend to believe the XMG50 would be great as well, but I was wondering if someone who's cast a Sage XP has also cast an XMG50 enough to compare the two.

Bob

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.chvlva.adelp)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:53PM

Bob, I built both the XMG50 and the XP in the 9'6" #7 4 pc configuration for a couple of guys to fish for atlantic salmon. I built them at the same time with similar components. I remember that the XP casted well both close and at distance with great accuracy. I remember that the XMG50 cast a ton of line without feeling overburdened -- and I really liked the way it "felt". This was before I knew about CC so I don't have any "data" to compare the two. I think this blank series is a real sleeper and could use some coverage. Be great to see a review on Globalflyfisher - one of my favorite sites. Best, Ladd

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.nas2.spartanburg2.sc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 09, 2005 10:08PM

Bob,

I built a 9'0" 6 Wt (2 piece) about a year ago on a Lamiglas XMG50 and it very quickly became my favorite smallmouth rod. I think these blanks match up well with the qualities that you decribe. They have a very fast action but do not feel overly stiff and they damp extremely well. I don't perceive them to be tip-heavy at all. To me they seem to have a nice, light, pleasing balance.

If you have a fly shop near you that handles Lamiglas rods, this is the same blank they use to produce their "Espirit" series of rods. You may have the opprotunity to pick one up and handle it before deciding.

I'm thinking of a good excuse to buy another one myself

Sam .

Posted by: Lanny De Rose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 10:57PM

Bob:
Hello. I assembled a XMG 905 and think it is as good as any of the very fast high end rods. The rod is very light and has a nice soft tip that allows the rod to cast 20 ft. or the whole line very well. I dumped a Scott S3 905/4 and a Sage XP 905 in favor of the Lamiglas. The only rod I like as much is my Loomis GLX Streamdance Max Line Speed 905. The Lamiglas does not load as far down the blank as the XP, but for me the Lamiglas is a more enjoyable rod to cast and fish. The Lamiglas wil throw razor sharp loops out to 70 ft. with little effort. It is a great float tube rod as it cast floaters, intermediate , and full sink lines great. I had it out this weekend and was catching perspawn bass up to 4 lbs. with no problem. Plus it is half the price of a XP blank. I have never understood why Lamiglas rods do not get more praise/ press. They make fine rods/ blanks that are on the same plane as Sage, Scott, T&T, Loomis, and Winston.

Lanny

Posted by: Mark Vlahakis (---.pop1.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 11:04PM

Bob:
I have built the 9', 2-piece, 8-weight and use it (along with a Dan Craft FT 8-wt) for steelhead in the Pacific NW (see my cc data at Superbob). I haven't used an XP so can not compare the two. The Lamiglass is a nicely balanced fast-action rod (compared with the obvious tip-action of the FT). It has a light feel, but not as light as the FT. I feel its standout feature is in long casts throwing heavy shooting heads. It has also stood up admirably to what some would call abuse (walking under, around, through many a mile of streamside vegetation).

Mark

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 06:46AM

I have a 3pc 10ft 5wt Lami XMG50 blank that I still have to build on.I'm having trouble making up my mind on what seat to go with,downlocking or uplocking model though.I ALWAYS use uplocking seats and definitely prefer them but I was thinking of trying a downlocking on this longer rod and I just happen to have a downlocking Venneri seat with cherry burl insert that would go nicely I think.Any optinions on the downlocking vs uplocking on a freshwater 10ft 5wt rod?

It's difficult to compare this blank to the other blanks and rods I have because most of my other rods are 9ft6 or smaller and this is the only 10ft 5wt I have.Naturally,being a 10ft blank it feels considerably heavier than my 9ft blanks,and feels completely different so it's not easy to make any kind of comparisons.

First impressions though were similar to what has been echoed above.VERY attractive(it's a GORGEOUS color) and straight blank that feels very powerful,quick tip but definitely not stiff,and has nice dampening characteristics(it doesn't feel like it recovers quite as quickly as a 9ft SIG V,GLX,or XP to me,but that may have alot to do with me simply being unaccustomed to the 10ft length in a 5wt blank).

I'm not a fan of 10ft or longer rods in anything under 7wt,but this blank could very well end up changing my mind.I have a feeling it is going to end up being an awfully nice rod and this line of blanks definitely does seem like a real "sleeper".It has high end performance written all over it yet very few people I know have ever used them,or tried the factory Esprit rods.I have read a couple of posts on various fishing forums in the past regarding these blanks and many of those who have used them often bring up comparisons to the feel of the XP,so I am looking forward to building on it.I can't see being dissappointed in it that's for sure.

Posted by: Jari Rantala (---.pool.sonera.fi)
Date: March 10, 2005 09:13AM

Tony Dowson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Any optinions on the downlocking vs
> uplocking on a freshwater 10ft 5wt rod?
>

downlocking seat brings the reel closer to the butt and that could balance a long rod better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster