I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip for restless, curious, prototype rod builders
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 09, 2005 02:56PM

If you like to build lots of rods, but also have a tendency to change your mind a lot, try new things, or build lots of prototypes out of curiosity, this may be helpful, especially if you can't afford to spend too much on the hobby. Instead of finishing your wraps with epoxy, finish them with 2-3 coats of Gudebrod 822 rod varnish. 1 part, water clean up.

I have rebuilt a lot of rods over this winter and the ones that I built using this finishing technique are a joy to rebuild whereas most of the ones I built with epoxy or Permagloss are more work than it's worth. You may think that this light build of varnish does not protect the thread that much, but consider these points: 1) who cares, you're a rodbuilder and can redo them anytime you want; and 2) just about all rods from the 70s and earlier were finished this way and many of them are still in service and have never been rewrapped. I have an old surf rod for example that has been through @#$%& and back and its varnished wraps are still really not in need of redoing.

Of course, I think if you are building for paying customers and want to optimize durability, this may not be the absolute best method but if you want to preserve the option to redo the rod later, this will save you some labor down the road and still give you a very durable rod to fish and experiment with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip for restless, curious, prototype rod builders
Posted by: Fred Crum (---.jps.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 03:11PM

Steve'
I still have serveral boat rods that I built the way you described back in the mid '70's. They have seen severe service and are just fine. And yes, easeally refurbished or changed at a whim. My latest project will be finished this way also. It's just that most folks go with the epoxie for longevity. I don't like it on small lite weight stuff, but use it otherwise.
As mom use to say; try it, you might like it. :)

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 03:29PM

I tend to agree with you on this Steve, but I am using the Klass Kote epoxy paints, satin and gloss formulas, instead of the Permagloss.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 04:06PM

How are the epoxy paints different?

Date: March 09, 2005 04:18PM

Don, I'll admit I am usually more focused on trying some new set up or blank than I am on the appearance of my wraps. I haven't used the epoxy paints yet but have been interested when I hear you describe them. I bet they look great and so does the Gudebrod 822 if you put more like 4-5 coats instead of the 2-3 I'm describing here. Let me just say that the water clean-up is one excellent selling point for me. Sure makes it easy and quick. Water is quite a friendly solvent and sure makes your brushes last a long, long time. I use the expensive 1/4" sable from Flexcoat. Expensive is really the wrong word since with hot water rinse I've been using the same brush for about a year and a half for a $6 brush.

Gotta go catch a train home from work - later.

Steve

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:02PM

I also am very cheap when it comes to brushes. In answer to your question Gerry, the epoxy paint does not set up as quickly as varnish or Permagloss and has a pot life of hours. I have been using a plastic palette knife to put on the first 2 coats of the 2 part epoxy paint. Put it on, then immediately take it off with the flat of the knife, one wrap at a time. Why? Because it seals and fills the threads without any buildup AND it lays down the fuzzies AND the satin catalyst acts as a color preserver on dark thread AND it doesn't smell (much). You do not have to turn the rod after the first two coats. The mixture for the third coat is allowed to thicken in the pot about 45 minutes, so it is like a greatly thinned epoxy. I apply this with a slice of foam brush about 3/4s the width of the wrap. One brush makes several strips. Let this last coat turn for 12 hours. The finished product looks like a regular epoxy wrap without the build-up. If I could find by dial caliper I would give you a measurement of the standoff from the thread.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:50PM

I have used the Klass Kote epoxies also , the potlife as Don describes is long to say the least . I have used it on surf rods mostly as they are much bigger and take conciderably longer to cover . I have to try this method that Don describes on the smaller flyrods. The 2 cans I have when mixed are rather strong smelling though , but it's the clear . JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 11:48PM

Steve,

That's a good idea. I just ordered 822 for the first time today and now I read this post. I will give it a go.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 10, 2005 08:32AM

Hank, I think you will like it. By the way did you ever get my response to your e-mail about the AmTak AMF908-4? I never heard back from you, which is fine, but I was worried maybe my response got buried in a spam folder or something like that. Let me know how you like the 822 - real good product I think.

Steve

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 07:37AM

Hi Steve,

No I did not get your reply on AmTak AMF908-4. Possibly I missed it, Could you send me the info again. I'm going to build a rod using 822 and another using 840 (1part epoxy) for myself and fish them hard this summer (if we ever get summer, forcast for another 12+ inches of snow this weekend). If 2 part exopy would go on like 840 no one would be complaining about exopy. That stuff goes on without bubbles, and lays flat. My concern is will it hold up under heavy use. I now use 840 instead of CP to lock my under wraps, works great.

Thanks Steve

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.an1.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 08:58AM

Thanks for the tip on the 840 Hank. I'll have to get some and try it out. I sent you new e-mail on Friday morning about the AMF908-4.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster