I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just did my first wrap
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 01:29PM

Well, after a few practice wraps on an old blank I couldn't wait any longer!! I've learned so much from reading the posts on this site, and from my visit to a local rod wrapping professional (thanks Jesse) I just had to get started. I now fully understand where this addiction comes from, and am already planning my next rod! I would welcome the board's comments/suggestions....the pic can be seen at

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just did my first wrap
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 01:33PM

Not that I've ever experienced this, but it would seem that crack cocaine and caffeine are only the second and third most quickly forming addictions.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.208.199.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 02:51PM

looks nice. should look really good once you apply thread wrap epoxy.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Fred Crum (---.jps.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 02:58PM

Bruce,
Welcom to the addiction!
Very nice first project btw.
Keep up the good work.

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:29PM

Thanks for making me want to set myself on fire. That is really nice work for your first wrap!!! I've built a few rods now and that is prettier than anything I've done, for sure. Good job.

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Date: March 09, 2005 05:57PM

Don't set yourself on fire yet.....I didn't mention how many times I screwed-up....cutting the wrong thread at the end of a wrap, running out of thread during an underwrap, etc, etc.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:56PM

Bruce,Nice work,You are sure to love evne more when the finish goes on.As with anything you get better the more you do it and you are starting out at a pretty high rung on the ladder.
One thing I did notice is that the guide seems to not be perpendicular to the blank.I have run across this after guide prep and have had to "adjust "the guide feet to bring it back into spec.Yuo should be able to do this with your fingers(bend it carefully).Not sure it I would wait until its coated or not to do this.sometimes the thread will pop loose from the stress.Others may offer some suggestions as to do this properly.Again awsome job!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:15AM

Wow! Your way ahead of me man. Nice job.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:45AM

Great job Bruce. The only way to learn is to waste thread. I have no idea how many spools of thread I've gone through learning. Keep up the practice, it pays off.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 10, 2005 07:05AM

Thanks for all of the nice comments! To Fred; I did notice the eye was leaning a bit forward, and when I tried to straighten it during guide prep, the front foot kept lifting-up. I may try to bend it some after I flex coat it, but with my luck I'll pop the ring out of the guide. It really isn't that noticeable on the rod itself, the zoom of the camera makes it stick out. Again thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments, and believe me, the wrap wouldn't have looked this good without me finding this forum!

Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.ms.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:00PM

I'm not purchasing this story... this can't be a first wrap. This is nicer than custom rods I've seen being sold.... sorry not believing it.

-Sam

Date: March 10, 2005 01:31PM

I'll take that as an extreme compliment Samer. You are right of course, it's not my first wrap. I did two practice underwraps on an old blank, then double wrapped an old guide onto the same old blank...so technically this is my fourth wrap.

Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.ms.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 03:44PM

You should... do you do lessons?

Date: March 10, 2005 04:06PM

It must be the magnified lamp that I purchased at the local Office Depot. It shows every flaw in a wrap, so you can correct it before it's too late.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster