I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line for Lamiglas FL 904-3 (7'6" 4 wt fiberglass)
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:06AM

A little off topic but I cant find this many Lamiglas fiberglass owners anywhere.
What is, in your experience and without taking into account the CC numbers of the blank, a good line for the Lamiglas fiberglass 7'6", 4wt, 3piece blank/rod - or in other words - which line do YOU prefer for this rod ? Not so much the brand but the line weight and taper.
I'm thinking of getting a DT 4 (Cortland SYLK) - would it be a good choice for an allround dry fly line for this rod ?

Thanks
Peter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2005 08:58AM by Peter Mulbjerg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line for Lamiglas FL 904-3
Posted by: Hans Lehikoinen (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:26AM

Peter,

I just finished building Lamiglas FL965, 8'0" 5wt 2-piece, fiberglass rod and I also own a Winston Retro fiberglass wt3. The lamiglas is working quite well with a Wulff triangle taper #5, but all fiberglass rods -in my opinion- spring to life with DT lines! The best DT line, which I've sumbled on, is the Scientific anglers' GPX, but I'm sure the Cortland lines are good as well.

Hans

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:29AM

The proper line for any fly rod will depend heavily on how much of it you plan to cast/fish with. A DT4 might be fantastic at say, 25 feet, but absolutely terrible at 50 feet. The amount of weight or load the line places on a fly rod changes as you increase or decrease the amount of it you have past the tip.

What is your normal fishing range with that rod going to be?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.2.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:42AM

Peter
The easy thing to do is take several lines say 3-4-5 WT. Go out side and cast each one and see witch one casts well on that rod

Date: March 09, 2005 07:59AM

Tom,
in my experience most rods are able handle more than just one length of line past the tip - some situations call for a short line others for a longer line - I have never had to change line - I just adapt my casting to the length of line.
I have had a full (about 68 feet) Orvis Spring Creek DT 5 in the air with my Orvis 9 foot 5 weight full flex rod some years ago. I used a Fibatube 9 foot # 5/6 with a DT 6 F for many years - it was able to handle a wide variety of distances as well.

Actually I'm more interested in the nature of the rod and would like to hear different views on this - how well does it handle different lengths of line ? Will a DT 3 load the rod enough with shorter lengts of line etc....

Based on my previous experiences I would choose the DT 4 but I think this rod is so soft that maybe a DT 3 would be better - I really dont know which is why I'm asking what people use.

I have no normal fishing range - it depends entirely on the actual situation - but the rod i hardly a distance tool - so I really cant say, maybe somewhere between the two you mention.

Thanks
Peter

Date: March 09, 2005 08:02AM

Bill,
yes I know but it still needs about 4 coats on the wraps and I'm quite simply curious what people use on this rod - if I met a guy with this rod by the stream I would ask him the same question - just out of curiousity :-)

Peter

Posted by: joe klepeis (---.or3.marketscore.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:16AM

peter
better to ask than spend bill s solution got you spending quite a few bucks on line for test casting.
joe.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:32AM

That's correct - rods are able to handle a range of length, but there is still an optimum load that can be placed on any rod for casting. That was why I asked. If you're going to be working at distances more than say, 40 feet, the line that performs best on the rod at that distance isn't likely to be the one that performs best at distances from say, 15 to 30 feet.

If you have the CCS numbers you can probably get into the ballpark with relative ease. Otherwise we'll hope somebody who is fishing that rod can fill you on what line they use and what general range they use it.

Re: Line for Lamiglas FL 904-3 (7'6" 4 wt fiberglass)
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:43AM

Peter,

It's been my experience with fiberglass rods, both contemporary and vintage, that most of them load easily with short lines in the rated weight. It has also been my observation that if you try to underload them, based on too strict an interpretation of the CCS data, they tend to bounce all over the place and take forever to dampen. Whereas, with the rated lines they usually cast smoothly, lacking great power but doing what you want them to do at close to middle distances.

With all that being said, and without the blank to test, I feel pretty confident saying the rod will likely be a great tool for fishing a 4wt. line at 15' to 35' of line past the tip. And if I owned that rod, it would probably never be asked to do more than that. This is not emperical but maybe it will be helpful to you anyway.

Steve

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.2.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 10:29AM

Got any friends that fish? Borrow the line Don't buy them!

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-56-58rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 01:44PM

i have that rod, but in the two piece version. i have been using it with a rio grand 4wt. that is a
wt forward. it is very good from short to mid distance out to about 40 feet. i have lawn cast out to 47 feet but that is not the rods sweet spot. i would say that out to 30 feet is best. this is a nice rod for small streams. i also have the 7' two piece 3wt. with a 3wt cortland silk dual taper it is awsome at the distances a three is made for.

Date: March 09, 2005 02:15PM

Thanks to all for taking the time to share your opinions and experiences.

I guess I'll stick with the 4 weight for starters and then use the rod for what it is intended - shorter distances.

A nice oportunity to build another 4 weight to supplement this one :-)

Peter

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 01:39PM

Peter,
I have to agree with all of the input you have received here. Until we came out with the composite versions of these rods I probably fished them 30 - 40 days a year. The 904 (7'6" 4wt) was my favorite and most of the time for 15 to 30 feet I used a cortland DT 4.

Todd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster