I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spatulas
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 10:32AM

I've heard people saying they use spatulas rather than brushes for the finish. Where do you get these? Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spatulas
Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: March 08, 2005 11:14AM

I ordered one from Joe Kassuba at the Trondak booth when I was at the Charlotte Show. He sold all he had and then started taking orders.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-56-58rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 11:23AM

a constant supply comes in the mail. i get lots of offers of credit cards and they contain thin plastic fake credit cards. i cut those up into strips of various widths. i also use my expired cards the same way.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 11:58AM

since i quit my white collar job.....im using up my dress shirt collar stays!
RB

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 12:26PM

Mike Barkley has bought a deck of playing cards; just cut them into the widths needed for the guide you're finishing-sounds about as easy as anything.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Aaron Harp (---.ypeast01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 12:42PM

Tom: I often wondered that myself until this past summer. We were visiting New York City and walked through a Saturday street fair. A guy was selling "dental instruments" - not good ones and not something I'd want in MY mouth. Nonetheless, he had bins of stainless spatulas in all kinds of widths. I bought 6 different ones. They work great.

That doesn't really help you, though. Before I got these, I cut up all of my familys' expired library cards. Worked great.

Aaron

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 01:04PM

I got mine at craft stotes Michaels
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 02:37PM

Tom, I was fortunate to have Joe Kassuba instruct me in the use of a spatula to apply epoxy (eh.pox! see) to a guide wrap. It is very easy to get consistently great results when done correctly. The spatulas he sells have a flat blade on one end ( the spatula part which he shapes) and a pointed pick on the other end. Joe had me use the pick end to lay a line of epoxy against the outer edgeof the wrap which prevents any water from getting under the threads. Then, with the flat end he had me load on a good amount of epoxy and spread it a bit making sure to press it well into the threads to fill the spaces along the sides of the guide feet. Then addind more epoxy and spreadiing even while slowly turning the blank. Next, I had to remove the excess epoxy by hoding the spatula at an angle and running it across the bottom of the wrap from one side to the other..and carrying the excess away. After wiping the spatula clean I repeated the process afew times until all the excess was taken off. Then it is just a matter of letting it cure..either by hand turning it 180 degrees every ten minutes to start and waiting linger between turns as it sets up..or by turning it on a rod dryer. The spatula that Joe sells for $11.00 is more than just a stadard item you would find anywhere. I bought one and consider it a worthwhile investment. Applying finish used to be the most feared part of rod building for me. Now it is a piece of cake!

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.nas20.pittsburgh2.pa.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 03:28PM

I was a wittness to David doing his thing at the show and he was nerveous but did very good under Joes direction. Joe is a super nice person and I enjoyed his company at dinner Sun. eve.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 04:37PM

Joe Kassuba is aexcellant deminstrator on how to use a spatula
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 07:53PM

To add a little to larry's post above, I do the same only I cut my cards so that they will fit into an exacto knife handle. Gives alittle extension and more control.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster