I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Working with cork
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 06:45PM

There was a post earlier about reaming cork. One response suggested drilling. Can cork handles be drilled, with a drill bit without tearing apart the cork? Maybe drilling to get the rough hole size, then followed by finer/grit/file reaming to the finished size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Working with cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2005 07:46PM

They may have been referring to individual rings which are effectively drilled or bored with most good wood boring bits. Regular twist drill bits will work okay, but you will want to keep the RPM up pretty high, around 1500 to 2000.

Boring an entire cork grip is better down with a power reamer than a drill bit of any sort. It would be tough to keep the bit centered on a long pre-formed grip.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:23PM

Steve , a good way to ream cork is to chuck up a rat-tail file in a hand drill and run it in reverse . Works great . JD

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:49PM

well i'm very new so maybe its just gonna take time. i think i've got all the tools inherited from my brother but need to figure out how to use em. having a blast anyway i'm hooked. so far i have a small rattail but it keeps jamming in the cork and out of the chuck on the renzetti, i havent been able to find larger rattail files, and the grit-in-glue-on-blank reamers seem to work except the end is breaking where i chuck it in the renzetti even though i've got it wrapped in tape, and the grits get embedded in the cork. i've managed to ream 3 handles butt and foregrip so far with very good end results, nice/centered fits but the means of getting there as explained above were very awkward and messy. Umnn...power reamer...is that the same as chucking a grit covered blank in a chck on the renzetti, or si it a specialized tool?

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:51PM

You can use the flex coat arbor drills. You just have to work from both ends to keep the edges clean. High rpms and move slow. Doesn't work on long grips, but have done it successfuly on 8" grips, then finish reaming by hand.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 11:17PM

Doug,
Wouldn't they work if you used an extension? I've used them on regular paddle bits.

Steven,
Maybe if you would Rod Bond a short peice of dowel in the end of your reamer it wouldn't break off. I don't know, just throwin out a suggestion. I'm a newbe too.

Bill in WV

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.prcw.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 09:28AM

I got pretty frustrated reaming a cork handle with the round files. So, I grabbed a sanding belt from my belt sander. Cut the seam and was able to tear a long strip about 1/2 inch wide. I spiral wrapped it over my rod blank in a spot where the cork handle fit about half way over the length of the sanding belt. I just used masking tape on the ends of the sanding belt. That worked pretty good. I ended up moving the sand paper up the blank a few times until cork was reamed enough to fit the blank.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 10:49AM

I "power ream" with a rat tailed file chucked in a variable speed electric drill. Rotate the file in reverse to keep it from being too aggressive. It will still remove cork and even wood in a controlled manner without binding.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster