I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod guide sizes
Posted by: Jim Fitzpatrick (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 06:07PM

Seeking advice/opinions on best sizes of fly rod guides. I am new to building - on my 3rd fly rod and was looking up spacing charts as was very surprised to see the (in my opinion) large difference between the sizes shown on the St. Croix site and the REC site for an 8', 4wt. One was 10-4-3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1 and the other was 12-4-4-4-4-3-3-3-3. I can see where they wouldn't be the same but this seems like a pretty big difference. I am fairly new to fly fishing as well. I am using snakes on this rod but will shift to 1's going forward.

Old wise ones, which of these two would you pick? Split the difference? Let me know if it really doesn't matter all that much?

I have been relying on spacing charts. Does static line placement move the guides that much and worth the effort? I plan on taping on the guides and using a static line check but have been wondering about this.

Sorry about too many questions in one post. What would we do if this website did not exist?

Jim F.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod guide sizes
Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: March 06, 2005 07:36PM

It matters. 12 mm - 10 mm 6 6 5 5 4 4 3 3

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:14PM

Hi Jim,

I was just fishing my 4 weight today and I used a #8 stripper, then single foot running guides in size 3-2-2-1-1-1-1. It was great! The only thing I would change though, is to up the stripper to a #10. The blank is a forecast and this rod has fished very well the few times I've used it so far. It handles tough wind (South Park - for you Coloradans) very well. It's also very accurate out to 30-40 feet and can still whip line out well past reasonable 4 weight distances (I can nearly double haull the entire 90 foot line!) I would go with the smaller guides. The large ones will just add weight.

Mark

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 04:08AM

Jim: probably what you're seeing is the difference in two philosophies. One school of thought is to use the smallest size guide you can get away with to keep weight to a minumum and arguably improve accuracy. Another school argues for oversized guides (Lefty Kreh in particular is a proponent of this view) for maximum performance, citing as one argument that SLIGHTLY less guide surface makes contact with the line because of the larger radius resulting in less friction. Tough call. I've found my rods perform better in my hands going with the smaller guides...with a couple caveats. If you're using standard snakes (as stated) or sf wire guides like Recoils (or most standard sf styles where the guide "loop" joins the foot basically flush with the blank), I'd go larger so the line has the chance to be further away from the blank in the casting stroke. Which is why I'm a huge fan of H&H standoff wire guides and the sf ceramics...both hold the line OFF THE BLANK for dramatic decreases in friction and increases in performance. With H&H, I'd go with sz 1's toward the tip, 2 - sz 2's, and 1 - sz 4 followed by a #10 taming guide and #12 stripping guide (one size larger than the taming guide), ceramics would go 6's (different sizing scale), 2 - 7's, 1 - 8, #10 tamer, #12 stripper.

You've got to try the static test...it's definitely worth the extra effort. One tip, though, would be to use surgical tubing or small "ouchless" 1/2" hair elastics to attach your guides to the blank so adjustment is easy. I find when I tape the guides on, I'll only adjust so far and with some frustration, but with the elastics I can slide the guides forward/back to my heart's content and end up with a finely tuned (spaced) performance stick.

All the best in your venture! :)

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 09:43AM

The stripper you pick pretty much dictates the next guide down. A #10 stripper works well followed by a #4 guide. I still hold to the cone of flight school/static placement. For your rod, a #10 SF spinning guide, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1s to tip. The H&H stand-offs are pretty cool, but I don't like the chrome finish.

Posted by: Jim Fitzpatrick (---.naes.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 09:58AM

Great advice. I didn't think about the using tubing for static guide set up but will definitely do that. I bought some recently from one of the sponsors. Has to be easier than tape. I need to read up on the static method.

Posted by: wes faul (207.203.48.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 01:25PM

One thing you have to pay attention to is the diameter of the guide. If I remember correctly, the REC recoil guides were a bit smaller in diameter both the wire size and the 'loop' size. This was a couple years ago, so I don't know if the specs have changed or not. Does anybody have some snakes handy to check?
Wes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster