I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Retirement gift rod-any ideas?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:19AM

I just got back from the woods cutting some diamond willow and got a phone call on a friend retiring; party is Friday night. I worked with him for over 8 years and fished with him for quite a few more than that. I know what rod, etc., that I'll build for him, but was wondering on the decals, etc., if anyone had any ideas to make this a bit more special for him? He worked at this same company (Schlumberger, a French-owned oilfield service company-blue and white, so the colors are easy) since 1975; 30 years.

Putter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Retirement gift rod-any ideas?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:26AM

A marbelized pen with a commemorative decal.

Date: March 06, 2005 11:29AM

Without saying, there'll be a matching pen to go with the rod! LOL!

I was thinking of running out to their shop today and taking a pic of the truck he ran for years and making a waterslide of it and inlaying it in the foregrip? Any suggestions appreciated; either here or email me directly...

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:30AM

Make a decal combined with the Slumberger logo and his years of service.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.252.205.230.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:54AM

Randy, I think your idea with the truck and Doug Moore's idea is good. Put them both together.

Date: March 06, 2005 12:02PM

I think that this would work well; thanks Doug and Jim-still open to other ideas, too!!

Putter

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:36PM

Get a 1975 (year he started) penny (or other coin) and inset it in the butt. I do that with birthdates to personalize rods.

Posted by: Ronnie Apple (---.wave-net.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:43PM

Putter
With your artistic ability you could put the picture of oil can with the old type metal spout that we used to puncture oil cans a few years ago.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 02:11PM

Randy,
How about creating an artisitc "oil slick" look for the blank or part thereof? Shiny black with shimmery tints of pinks, blues and greens, etc. A miniature Ever-Tite coupling would make a great winding check or butt cap if you can find one.

Date: March 06, 2005 02:41PM

This is really strange-his boss that called me on this rod and the person that I'm building it for- they're both color blind!

I remember this from working with them both, but will still go with the dark blue and white of the logging truck's colors and their company logo.

Putter

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 02:46PM

Color blindness is rarely complete, usually it's the red and green hues that are affected. Your friend might be able to see the blue. But whatever colors you go with, make sure you have light/dark contrast - take a black and white photo of the threads to check.

Date: March 06, 2005 03:02PM

Not sure on the boss's, but Bob sees only in shades of gray, black and white; no color at all...

Putter

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 08:10PM

Randy, if you are going for some humor and fun, maybe a tombstone with the company logo on it and the dates, 1975 - 2005, RIP? Or your Saddam style red circle/band over the top of the logo with years?

If going for elegant, I would go with Doug's idea.

Date: March 07, 2005 01:23AM

I'll run that by his boss, Mick. I'll let him decide. I'll make both sets of decals up and let him see them - then he can call the shots; that's what a boss does, right??

David got me thinking; their ET's have some pretty neat, downhole-specific stuff and I'll run this by him tomorrow and see if something there might work for a winding check-great idea!

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster