I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help! SCIV thread choice
Posted by: Jeff Price (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:09AM

I need help in a hurry. I'm buiding a 5 weight SCIV fly rod for a friend. I've never worked with this blank and need to know some thoughts on thread choices. I have med. green, garnett, chestnut, maroon, gray, gold, gold silk, scarlett, silver metallic,and a lighter green silk. I did test a couple using water. I would probably prefer not too use CP if possible. i did do a search but found a lot of disagreement on what looks right including those who hated what others loved and others who said there is no good color for this rod. I would like to do trim wraps but not at the expense of gaudiness. I liked the med. green with gray trim wraps while my likes the maroon. i need to make a decision soon. I could purchase more thread tomorrow but i need to start! Guides are Tich. Thanks, Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help! SCIV thread choice
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:22AM

Med Green with grey trim, or maroon. YOu can't ask someone else what they like for you, and expect them to tell you what you like.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:24AM

How about your favorate color??

Date: March 06, 2005 10:41AM

Billy, he says it doesn't really matter but we were looking for something understated. I thought green on green would be fine but am looking for last minute thoughts as I am ready to start. thanks, Jeff

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.clsp.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:05AM

Be sure you check the color of that blank in bright full sunlight. If it is like mine I wrapped with a green but in full light it shows some blue which makes the green wraps off a little........It still catches fish well. I think a red (for me) would have looked better.

Date: March 06, 2005 11:24AM

Al, that's exactly why I posed the question. It looks very green inside but pretty blue outside. Did you use CP What trim would you use? Thanks, Jeff

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:25AM

Easyist thing, match the blank color then some gold, or silver bands

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.83.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:32AM

i understand looking for understated but wouldn't grey trim wraps look a bit dingy? of course my dingy is probably someone else's fantastic. i just finished two rods trimmed with white nylon NCP thread (pac bay) and it looks nice. the pure-ish white is a nice slight, tightly packed 4 wrap accent to the green thread on green blank i was dealing with. they were single foot guides so additionally, there's only one trim wrap per guide.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.121.12.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:59AM

On a Hook and Hackle green blank, I've used Gudebrod medium brown (#521) with an NCP green inlay. Used Flex Coat color preserver. The wraps have a subtle old-fashioned look to them (almost like wood), and it looked great with the cocobolo or other dark wood insert I used with the reel seat. The amount of green NCP thread used is ver little, and will probably look OK on a greenish-bluish rod as well. Good luck!

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.clsp.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:02PM

Not sure what trim to use. I have another one to build (6wt) but I have been busy with another rod. I am partial to the reds so might do a gray with red trim but need to give it more thought

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:07PM

I trust my wife's color judgement (she's won awards for her quilts) and she agrees that in sun it's not a true green but is blueish. She suggested that I wrap it with Gudebrod Teal ( #638), no CP. The color on the thread spool will scare you, but it darkens with epoxy and looks great on the blank. Several metallic trims will work with this, such as gold, teal, etc. I also wrap this blank with Gudebrod Rust (#257), again, with no CP it darkens and lok great with gold metallic trim.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.83.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:07PM

are these blanks similar to the color of the old forecast "blue" which had a definate shade of green or teal in them? if you're trying to match it, i wrapped my first blank, an older forecast, with gudebrod Blue Dun. it seems an almost perfect match.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.121.12.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:08PM

Jeff, I've posted a photo of the green rod with medium brown thread with NCP green thread wraps (and color preserver). Go to the site below, and look at the photo labeled "decal inscription".
[www.fishingphotos.net]
Have fun!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:54PM

I just finished an SC IV with Gudebrod dark Green (5896), trimmed and inletted with narrow bands of Gudebrod Metallic Pearl (9003). Others that have seen it like it. The Pearl has a green tint that appears to be amplified by the green thread.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 11:31AM

Any color of brown looks great on that blank. I like dk. brown with no CP. Chestnut looks good (no CP), as does med. brown, and Pearsall's java brown gossamer. Can't go wrong with brown.

Posted by: Tom Goodner (66.52.236.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 11:02PM

Black.

I've had & fished several factory Legend Ultras/SCIV's, & have a built a few. The last one I built, with black thread & no CP, looks the sharpest of all of them. Subtle, but sharp. Same comments from friends who own factory Legend Ultras.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm only a hobby builder, but it worked for me.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster