I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine or straightest axis
Posted by: Ron Greenbank (---.cot.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:55AM

I'm doing a 7' one piece bass spinning blank and I can't decide what to do. The blank has a slight curve near the tip. If I spine the rod, the curve is a little to the left near the tip. Would you go ahead and wrap the rod with the guides so the rod looks the straightest when sighting down it or would you go ahead and wrap it with the spine as the determining factor. I know Sage sends out a lot of their blanks with the alignment dots on the straightest plane. Please don't tell me to send it back. I don't think most people would even notice the curve but I've spent so much time looking down rod sections aligning guides that I seem to notice even the slightest bend.

Thanks for any help.

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine or straightest axis
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 09:19AM

Since it's a spining rod I would definately go ahead and build on the straightest axis.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 09:23AM

I am not the sage expert that some of these other guys are, but I like to line up the spline with the guides opposite for spinning rods and vice versa for casting. My reasoning is that the extra stiffness of the spine if it is off to one side would probably affect the accuracy of casting. I got that from the guy that got me started on rod building and the theory it makes sense(at least it does to me) at least if it is a pronounced spine.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:54AM

The difference in stiffness from on spine to off, will vary, but I've yet to see it go more than .2 difference on the CCS scale. Spine does not affect casting accuracy. Having a crook or curve off at 90 degrees to the casting plane will. All these things must be tempered by the fact that most of us don't cast in one single plane all the time.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:27AM

From a guy who use to worry about spine/spline location and has since started aliging the guides relative to the straightness of the rod, I have to admit I have not been able to see, feel, measure any difference in the fighting or castability of any rod setup in that manner.

I say go for the straightness.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 11:49AM

Even though I hate being wrong:-), this is some good info. It would be easier to not worry about the spine and just take the straighest path on the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster