I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod hook keeper or not?
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 11:31PM

I've tried the loop type, the ring type, and the fold down....Liked 'em all some of the time and not liked them some of the time.

How about you guys......??

How often do you use hook keepers...And when don't you.

Anything wrong with doing a butt wrap and then putting the loop style keeper over that...so you don't have the blank showing in the middle of the keeper? Might try that when ever I crank up another project.

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod hook keeper or not?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.49.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 11:50PM

i don't include hook keepers (so far) but then i've only built 5 stream fly rods. instead, when fishing, i bring the line back around the reel foot and hook onto the stripper guide or a little farther up. that way it's very easy after boulder hopping to a new area to simply unhook and start casting anew.

i've always wondered though... do the ring type or fold down type move at all during casting? is there some little noise emanating from those little doodads?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:09AM

The fold down are quiet; don't know about the ring style, Eric. I don't build many fly rods; those that I have, I've put the folding style on. Not neccessary, though, for sure.

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 01:24AM

Ditto Putter. I moved away from the "regular" style last year and only use Fuji folding hook keepers now. I do have rods built with these that have seen a lot of seasons and they're still quite/immobile during casting/fishing. I just like the look of a shorter wrap in front of the wc. I also do some rods for customers (and myself) without them, but most decide to include a keeper if only to have it for those few times it might come in handy.

Good wraps!

Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 01:30AM

I hate 'em! I think they are ugly and useless. I've sold over 100 bamboo rods and 100's of graphite rods with no hook-keeper. Never one complaint.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:23AM

If you got to have one, try the look of single foot wire guides. Come in many colors to match the wraps
Do the Forham wrap on it

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.121.12.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:51AM

Anyone ever had a failure with the Fuji folding hook keepers? I'm undecided whether to put a basic type or folding type on a special rod I'm building. I like the fancy touch of the folding hook keeper, but don't want one that might break over the years. Any comments would be appreciated.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 02:28PM

Do you really want to use your stripping guide as a hook keeper? Seems to me that putting a metal hook into the ceramic ring can't do it any good. Maybe that's why they invented a metal hook keeper to hold that metal lure/fish hook.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.199.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 02:43PM

yes, i'm pretty sure placing a sharp hook into a ceramic ring or any surface designed to be as smooth and friction free as possible for performance would not be a bright idea.

when i use my technique, i do not place the hook on the ceramic ring. i use the stripper guide's legs or braces.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 07:26PM

Let the customer decide.

Lou

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 06:07AM

I always have one on my own rods,but give other people the choice of whether they want one or not.I wouldn't be without them,but some people hate them.To each their own.

Personally,I like the fold down Fugi's best.They are small and fairly inconspicuous when folded down compared to the typical wire U shaped ones.They look nice even one light rods and I've never had one rattle around on me or anything.Just remember to fold them down out of the way when not in use to avoid bending them.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 07, 2005 09:51AM

A 2/0 single foot wire as a keep. No Forhan, but a blocking wrap continued well ahead of the keep so that the hook cannot contact the blank. I rarely use even this keep on ultralight rods, although it does raise a question as to where to hang the fly. I have one folding fuji and it still functions as designed. I was very careful when varnishing and have a blocking wrap on this one as well.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:03AM

I've used the strap and ring hookkeeper on only one rod, but I like it a lot. I doesn't make any noise and it's really small. The biggest problem is that hardly anyone makes them and I think they only come in silver/chrome. I've also use the Fuji folding type and like them too, but the strap and ring is my favorite.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 05:26PM

I like the folding keepers best, but a single foot wire guide is also nice in tiny sizes. I wrap those backwards, with the foot facing forward so there is no chance of it pulling out, then I wrap on the other side so the guide/keeper sits in the middle of a trim wrap & there is no chance of a hook gouging the rod. In any case, I prefer a hook keeper of any style as opposed to no keeper at all.

2 cents,

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster