I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod prep finish flub
Posted by: Troy Bieger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 09:23PM

I am working on my second go at using one of the cheap "unsanded, unfinished" graphite blanks for another practice rod. Learning on the my first one (after the fact) from this forum not to use sandpaper, I "sanded" this rod with the scotch grey pads. Ended up with a nice finish which I then topped off with 2 coats of spray Spar Urethane. Really ended up with a nice glossy smooth finish.

EVA handles and real seats were added (real seat backwards but thats another discussion on another lesson learned) - This is why I practice on cheapies!

Hoping to avoid the blank jumping out of the supports as on my first attempt, I put the blank in my homemade drill lathe / wrapper and used a rubber band wrapped in flannel to hold the blank down in the supports... This created my problem and question:

My "hold-down" rubbed a rough area in the glossy urethane finish. Part of it might be coverable with an underwrap for the first guide but it would make for a long wrap. The majority of it, (about 3") is just too far down from the guide to cover it.

Is it unheard of to have a simple "decorative" wrapped section without a guide in it? I would need something more solid than a butt wrap and I have no experience on that let alone a "weave".

Any other ideas on what I can do here, or am stuck going back to the scotch pad, and trying to blend a touch up with more spay urethane.

One other question: Will the urethane rod finish be okay with Flex coat on top of the guide wraps?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

~Troy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod prep finish flub
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.135.52.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 10:48PM

haven't you always wanted your own customized logo???? at least now, you won't have to contemplate exactly where to place it ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 11:31PM

I'm confused about your drill lathe/wrapper. What exactly are you doing with it and how fast?? I would think that you would have to be going pretty fast to have the blank jump out of supports or rub through a finish. When and how are you turning the blank??

Mike

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 08:34AM

Put some kind of decorative wrap over the roughed up area or get a decal and apply it there. Another thing to consider when using a spray on finish of urathane or spray paint is let that stuff cure for a while, it takes some time to harden fully I usually let them sit for a week. Flex Coat works fine with the rods that I have used spray urathane on. I have done what you are doing plus used spray paint both with good results.

Posted by: Troy Bieger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:52PM

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I am going to wrap the guides, access the appearance and if need be, do an "underwrap" for a feather. I was planning to use the tips of a few pheasant feathers for the butt design anyhow, I'm going to try to make it look intentional. Maybe I'll start a new trend... Ha!

Mike:

Regarding the drill lathe / wrapper. I have to say, this I am quite proud of. I have been reading catalogs, reading this forum, I bought Tom's book and did all the reasearch (I thought) that I could and set out to build a cheap wrapper.

The base is about a six foot length of birch faced, 3/4" ply. The width is equal to a standard 2x4. (so really 3&3/4").

The "wrapper" section itself is another piece of the birch ply about 15 long. I mounted two vertical supports on either end. (This is where I messed up first. Doing it over, I would have not glued the uprights in position. Its tricky at the tip end to get proper spacing for the fixed supports and still have the guide I am wrapping centered. Used the spring-loaded, opposing disk type tensioners. Thats something else I am already reworking on. The base of the wrapper board has 1x2"s running on either side that then also slide over the base board like outer rails. All pieces that slide on the bottom are fitted the same way.

The part you asked about (sorry, I guess I like telling stories...), I built a support with two 2x4s about 18" long stacked atop eachother. Then topped with a 1/2:" square "rails" on top which are beveled on the inside to center my drill upside down. I had cut a couple dados across one of the 2x4s before screwing them together. Then I could use a strap clamp, threaded the strap through the dados and it clamps down the drill quite well. When I need the drill for other purposes, I just loosen the straps and it slips right out.

The drill (lathe) I only use at fairly high speed, not sure what rpm. I use this first to prep the unfinished rod. Then after installing the EVA foam, (or cork) I place it back in the drill lathe to shape the grip right on the rod.

I have another double 2x4 with a 6 RPM motor on it with a Flex Coat rubber cup "chuck" for using the same Lathe, Wrapper unit as a dryer as well. All from garage scrap boards.

I am thinking that for the next one I am going to try roller supports instead of V notched and felt covered wood.

Thanks again.

~Troy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster