I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip top wrap
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 12:29AM

Thanks again everyone for the help. Things are going great . The real seat and grip are in place and I'm practicing wrapping. Ok, whats the best way to wrap the tip top wrap? How do you support it in the jig. The tip top is kind of in the way for spinning the rod and and it just hangs out there with little support from the jig. I know this must be easy so let me in on it. Thanks Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip top wrap
Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:12AM

I have left some w/out a wrap at all but I think it looks a little funny. For the rest I use a hand held bobbin like you would use for tying flies or I employ child labor and have my kid give me an extra hand.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:38AM

Thats a great idea Andrew! Should of thought of it myself. Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 02:21AM

I just let it hang off the end of my rod rest. My thread tensioner is on a separate board and I just let the rod bend and place the tensioner board at a 90 degree angle from the bend that the thread tension imparts on the rod; it's always very near where the tensioner board was at when wrapping the last guide before the tip top.

Putter

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.206.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 03:41AM

i rest the tip section coming from the left, with the tip directly above, unsupported, above the two thread holders, which are mounted on the base below. on a four piece, i combine the tip section and the second section to add weight and tension from the left.

using my left hand, i both hold/turn the section, pulling up just a little to keep extra tension and keep a finger from the left hand on the thread wrap. the right hand i keep free for holding the very tip and helping rotate the section, cutting the thread near the end of the process, long enough to finish wrapping, sometimes just wrapping it round and round the last few turns instead of rotation the rod section.

so far works for me.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 04:10AM

No worries Tom, hope it helps. The child labor thing started when I was wrapping a couple trolling rods for my neighbors father's Bday. I still manually turn my rods when wrapping so one day when one of my neighbor's kids was watching me wrap he asked if he could help build grandpa's rod. I put him to work turning for me and it was awesome. "forward ... faster ...slow down .... faster .... sloooowww ... stop! " He got a kick out of "helping" and it was great hearing him tell grandpa how he helped me. Once I got to the tip top guide I really realized how much it helped having an extra hand. As soon as the child labor runs out i might have to break down and buy a power wrapper but until then I get a kick out of letting them help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster