I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod 4 Troops Update
Posted by: Bob Lee (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:59PM

Thank You for a Successful Rods 4 Troops Program!!!

A challenge was made to the industry at large and the custom rod building community in general ....and you responded!!

We want to thank each of you for providing your time, materials, and skills to build the quality fishing rods for those on duty across the seas from their homes.

Working closely with the MWR - Morale, Welfare, & Recreation section of the US NAVY we were able to have all finished rod delivered.

Listed below is a tribute to some of rod builders that dedicated their time and skills to show their support for our troops:

Alan Beck - Gotta Fish Custom Rods
Paul Blanch
Charlie Block - Block's Custom Rods
Lance J. Bosma
Terry Brodsky - North American Fisherman
Allen Fish
Harv Gorton
David Henney - Dave's Custom Rods
Eddie Hinote
Bill Masters - Masters Bait and Tackle
Dusty Mayer
Mick McComesky
Doug Moore - Tideland Rods
Eugene Oppe
Randy Parpart - Putter's Custom Rods
Arthur Parramoure - Art's Rod Shop
James W. Pete - Kornegay
Russ Philstrom
Frank Quigley
Steve Satterfield
David Smith
Bill Swift - R & S Outfitters
Jim Upton
Ron Walter

And special thanks to Okuma Fishing Tackle and Shakespeare Fishing Tackle for donating reels. When we finished with our new web site updates, there will be a special page dedicated to the work of these folks.

FYI, Future Fisherman Foundation has also initiated a similar program to provide tackle for troops. I am happy to see so many people coming together for a worthy cause, but I am sure many more will be willing to participate in this year's program, if we can start it earlier in the year. So, stay tuned!

Sincerely,

Bob Lee
CEO
Pacific Bay International, Inc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 09:07PM by Moderator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod 4 Troops Update
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:32PM

Hats off to you Bob, for setting it all up. Give a troop a fish and he'll eat it while thinking of beer. Give a troop a rod, and he'll spend an inordinate amount of resources to acquire beer in order to use said rod. lol

I think most builders, at least the ones that I have gotten to know, are basically a generous sort. Commision a rod and we'll get our top dollar. Ask for a donation to a worthy cause however and a line will form.

Personally, I enjoyed the opportunity to take part in this and feel as though I owe you one for it. Especially becaue of my embarrassment about my inscription area.

Thank you again, sir.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:15PM

Bob its good to see it was a great success, I hope it will run again this time opening it internationally so builders from around the world can give their thanks.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:30PM

Did you not recieve mine. I built a 6'6" spinning rod and hadnt heard anything from anyone after shipping. I know I didnt make the first deadline but did get it shipped by the date you asked me to have it out by. I really hope you got it safely since I took off a day of work to finnish it. Let me know? Travis Thompson

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:53PM

Travis,

Please email Bob direct in case he doesn't peek back in here. It would be a shame if your work was not received. I'm sure some soldier would love to have it.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:02PM

I don't know how I missed the Rods For Troops Program but I want to participate in the next round. Can I expect to see it prominently announced in this Forum? Sure would hate to miss it. What type of rods are in most demand? Saltwater boat rods? Fly rods? Freshwater? I'd just as soon get busy building one now in advance of the promotion.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (64.73.46.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:38PM

Sorry about that Tom my computer isnt letting me email right now. I think I have his # I'll phone him tommorow

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:49PM

I was tickled to be able to help with this; it gave that warm feeling that Dundee spoke of in "the line forming". Bob, definitely put me on your list for 2005!! Can't wait for this one; I'll try and take a bit more time on this next rod...

Putter

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.or3.marketscore.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:37AM

Bob, Did you ever find out how the rods were dispersed ? I put my email addy right on the rod,maybe I'll get a note someday...

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 08:16AM

Bob, thanks for the opportunity. Count me in again next time around.

Thanks

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Bob Lee (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 02:31PM

Thanks, guys. Last year's program started as a fun idea, and we really did not plan too much for it before the announcement. JT and Erik did most of the work, though, so all credits go to them.

I promise to have better planning make it more prominent this year so we can get more of the folks involved. We will employ more channels of communications to bring awareness to more people.

By the way, as soon as I have more details on how the rods/tackle were distributed, I will let you all know.

Thanks again, Rod Builders!

Best regards,

Bob Lee

Posted by: Erik Thompson (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 02:12PM

Travis Thompson: No, I never did rcv your rod. We have a spreadsheet that we used to monitor all rodbuilders and their current status - Rcv'd Rods and Pending. I just checked and I never did get a shipment in from you. Do you have the tracking number? I'll roll up my sleeves and see if I can't find anything more...

David Gilberg: Yes, please email me your name, address, phone number - and we'll get you in our system for upcoming R4T programs. I'm sure that you will be informed on this board if such an event occurs...

Harv Gorton: I do not believe that the rods have made it into the soldiers hands yet. They were going to take photos of them when they got them - I'll have to check on the current status...I'm sure that you will get a note when they get an opportunity.

Regarding Type of rods to build: We decided that we'd target a 6 foot spinning rod, 2pc. I am not sure how well this worked out - we'll have to wait for feedback from the troops.

Side note: A sargent from IRAQ email us - wanting to get a fly rod - because his collaspable fishing pole and tackle does not seem to be working. Mentioned that the fish only seem to be biting on flies. I happen to have a Fly Rod Kit w/ reel that I am going to send him - because the R4T project is now over. I am also going to send him (3) spinning rods that had the tips of them broken off during its journey to Pac Bay for the original R4T project. I'll just throw a larger tip top on them. I still need to find (3) reels to go with them - can anybody help me out here?

I hope that I answered all the questions - if not just let me know!

Sincerely,

Erik Thompson
erik@fishpacbay.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster