I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need a better understanding of how to do double wrapped butt wraps
Posted by: Drew Terry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:58PM

I have build a few simple rods in the past, but I have never attempted what Dale Clemens refers to in his Custom Rod Thread Art book as a double wrap.

I would like to do a butt wrap which he refers to a the "Flames" varation of pattern number 12 of his book. I understand the layout and the concepts of compressed spacing. What I have not been able to get a grasp on is how the actual wrap sequence is done where one has more than two axis. In this case there will be four axis.

Do I wrap the pattern using a single layout in which the chervons intersect or develop at all four axis simultaneously? ( or in other words do I form all 4 chevrons in one complete pattern pass) Or do I lay down the layout threads and pattern such that I complete one set of patterns (at the 0 and 180 degree axis), finishing the pattern and then start a second layout and pattern set that is on the 90 and 270 degree axis (in other word complete two independence and seperate single pattern passes)?

Any advice for this novice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need a better understanding of how to do double wrapped butt wraps
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:50PM

Build them both at teh same time. THat's about teh easiest way to explain it. One at a time the patterns will not be built on teh 90 & 270 axis. Just CONCENTRATE and keep track of which wrap is which, and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:55PM

One thing you might do, is keep a written account of the wrap sequence. I used to think up wraps in my head and then write down the steps/colors on a paper pad. On wraps with multiple axis this is very helpful. After each step you just cross off that step. After awhile you don't need to do this and you'll keep it all in your head or know where you are just by looking, but starting off it may be helpful.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 08:13PM

Actually, it's a good idea to keep a record of everything you do. I've got a few spreadsheets I use to keep track of things, as well as keep records. All my wraps that are complicated are worked out, step by step before I lay down a single thread. As I complete a pass, I put a dot next to each thread that I wrapped. This way when I get up and walk away, I remember what I Was up to, and while wrapping there is no thinking involved, just look at teh sheet and follow the directions I planned out ahead of time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster