I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tell me about these 2WTS
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:24PM

Guys-

I just ordered up a 2pc Forecast and 2pc Rainshadow 2Wt fly rod with components from Bob at Hook and Hackle. I was hoping those who have constructed these rods could comment on the feel, maybe the differences between the two blanks as far as feel and action, and how they liked and disliked them... Thanks!

Here are my plans for the each finished product:

Gray Matte RS 2Wt
All Chrome Hardware, guides, hkeeper, wcheck.
Lite Maple Reel Seat Insert.
Thin Single Foot Wire Guides.
Uplocking Reel Seat, Inletted Reverse HalfWells Grip

ForeCast Blue 2Wt
All Chrome Hardware as above
Double Foot Thin Wire Guides
Uplocking All Aluminum Reel Seat, Inletted Reverse Half Wells Grip

I have a 3/4Wt, 5PC, Tiger Eye that I made up for my last trip to the Mountain streams of WVA for native brook and bows, but I felt like the rod may have been a little two much. A heavy weight is 14"...many in the 8-10" range. I think the 2Wt will be the ticket. What do you think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tell me about these 2WTS
Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:38PM

Domenic,

I don't know the forecast, but I have the rainshadow. IT's a sweet little blank. For fishing 30' give it a 3 wt line. For fishing 10' casts give it a 4 or 3. It will be just the right size for the fish you're talking. I've landed trout to 20" with mine, but 12-14 is more realistic.

Thanks,
Rick

Date: March 03, 2005 03:45PM

Rick-

That's great! I was planning on using 3Wt 555 line on it. You told me what I wanted to hear.

Thanks,
Domenic

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:50PM

I have the H&H matte grey 662-2 IM6 which I believe is the same as the RS IF662-M. Mine CC's at 3.27/64. I also just got the Forecast F662-4pc. and it CC's at 2.67/60. So, what Rick says about the RS sounds dead on and expect the Forecast to be more of a 2/3 wt. assuming your 2pc. is like my 4pc. but that is probably a bad assumption to make. Anyway, fun projects that don't cost much money.

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:53PM

Steve,

I didn't realize that Forecast made the 6'6" 2 wt in a 4 pc. That has to break down pretty tiny (bout 20"). I will have to build one just for that reason.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:06PM

Yeah, pretty neat. Of course it's hard to scrape together the $15 to buy one. Deals like this are not exactly helping with the addiction. Sort of like nickle draft.

Steve

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:22PM

Domenic I have tried that line I am thinking you are talking about the Cortland 555. I found it to be stiff, and went back to the 444 Laser line. Maybe you will like it

Date: March 03, 2005 06:41PM

Bill thanks for the suggestion.

Also Steve- Please give me the address on where I can purchase the 4 PC you speak of at that cost. I might hold off the construction to get me one of those!!!

Thanks,
Domenic

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.0.37.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 07:40PM

Got mine from Hook and Hackle Company. They have a special on Forecast blanks ordered via their website. It's a new model. If it isn't listed yet, then E-mail Bob about it and he'll set you up.

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:07PM

You'll love both those blanks. BTW, I would try the single foot wire guides on both those blanks to keep them as light as possible. I would also use a single foot ceramic fly guide, maybe a size 10, for a stripper and a ceramic tip top to match.

This would give you the best of all worlds as far as light weight and performance.

Nonetheless, the components you chose are excellent, and either way you cut it, you'll have 2 very sweet rods. I concur on using either WF3 or DT3 lines on these rods for the close in work.

Have fun.

Lou

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:30AM

You could not pay me enough to fish a 555 on a 2/3 weight. I have fished them on higher weight rods (6+) and liked them for a long-casting application. Even when stored on a 4" diameter large arbor, they still have incredibly bad memory. I cannot imagine the coils you would get fishing in cold weather on a 2.5" or 2.75" reel.

If you are going to stick with Cortland, their Clear Creek tapers are being clearanced and are a heck of a spring creek line...

Date: March 04, 2005 10:25AM

I don't plan on fishing the line I chose in weather under 60 degrees F. So cold weather applications isn't an issue for me. I will make sure that I pull that line out and lay it outstretched to elimate the possibility of memory that you describe prior to fishing it again this year.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.153.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 10:38AM

I found the 555 held pig tails when coming off the reel. Unless it has been changed? But for me the 444 lazer line was softer. Can not remember but check with what Tom Kirkman uses. Think it is Scientific Angler

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster