I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transition Guides.....
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:25PM

When going through a learning curve, too much information is almost the same challenge as too little. I went to the search function, and there's information overload in previous posts. I'm very new to spiral format...wanting to get started.
To the questions:
-Would it be fair to say that "transition" guides are those that accomplish the direction shift by 180 degrees. Many posts state that a transition guide needs to be a totally different profile than the "runners" that are at 180, as well as being larger or smaller than the remaining transition guides, and the runners on 180.
-In a low-end single piece 6' factory rod (take the Berkley "air" E-glass, for an example) there are 6 guides and a tip. Are there goping to be challenges in using the factory guides and doing the spiral conversion?
Placement of the guides is not at issue.... just the sizes and profile used by the plant.
Thanks in advance for all input. KAD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transition Guides.....
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:46PM

For what I do, I will start with either a 12 or 16 double foot guide on top, depending on what works best for the reel I am using. Most of my spiral wraps are for bass rods. Then I use 3 other double foot guides to get to the bottom of the blank. Most of the time what works for me is 12, 10, 10 and 8 in double foot guides to make the transition. If I had to use a 16 first, then the setup has been, 16, 12, 10, 10. From there I usually go to an 8 single foot and then to 6 single foot fly guides out to the tip.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 05:24PM

Yes....the guides used to "get around" are called transition guides.
No....the guides do not have to be different types. Although depending on the rod, reel, foregrip etc. you may need a higher frame guide to start the "get around" with so that the line wont touch the blank.
If you are rewrapping an old rod, by all means use the existing guides. Tape them on and see if your line goes from top to bottom in as straight a path as possible and does not touch the blank when the rod is flexed. Some folks put the first 180 degree guide at the point where the rod bends to 90 degrees and make the transition from there back. Others just "get it around" in the straight line and start the 180 degree guides from wherever the transition guides end. Ain't it great!!!! You really can't go wrong with whatever method you use!!! Remember...when in doubt, go test cast it.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 10:46AM

Thanks for the advisements ! I understand. This, coupled with all the informatin in the search archives
has put an egg in my beer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster