I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AMTAK Titan
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:37AM

Very soon now I'll be receiving my 11 foot 5 weight CTS Affinity blank. I want to use the Titan guides from AMTAK and would like to know of your experiences with them - are they as good as the Fuji's ?

If you have found one of the sponsors to have a better price on these guides than others please let me know too.

Thanks
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AMTAK Titan
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:56AM

THey seemed to look and feel OK. They seemed to be a different color than the Fuji Ti, they were more Chromer, sort of along the lines as the IC Fuji's, but not quite. THe one thing I did notice is that when I bend a Fuji Ti, it was springy and would go back to shape, the Titan stayed bent. I think that'sa result of using a differnt Ti material, I have no idea I'm not a metallurgist. They also heat press AND glue the rings in teh frame, to prevent rings from popping out. How they hold up nobody will be able to tell because it's Mid-Winter and tehy've only short period of time.

I don't think they were being sold at teh Show, but I could be wrong, I sw them on display at Amtak's booth. Definately worth considering since they are about 1/2 the price of a Fuji.

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:42AM

Thanks Billy - so there are some differences.

I'm also curious about the weight - has anyone weighed some of them ?

Thanks
Peter

Posted by: john chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:47AM

The fact that they stayed bent sounds like they are plated and not solid alloy {:-(

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:07PM

Do any of the sponsors have them? Last I heard, the first shipment was small and sold out quickly.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.23.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:47PM

Mud Hole carries them. Amtek is right next door.

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:51PM

Bill,

Mudhole is next door to Amtak? Mudhole is in Orlando. Amtak is in Massachusetts I thought.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:11PM

As fare as I understand they are carring most all of Amtek parts next door to them. That's what I herd

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:52PM

Oviedo, Florida for both

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:55PM

Thanks Ken

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 05:32PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest in our Titan guides.

The Titan guides are solid Titanium. We have actually stiffened the single foot guides with a new type of Titanium for the second shot of guides on this next order. Look for our dealers to be replenished in the next couple of weeks.

The guides should be the lightest in the industry. Titanium weighs half as much as stainless and the ring size has been reduced dramatically. The Nanolite material we use is so strong we can reduce the mass of the ring to a fraction of what SIC needs. This reduced ring size lowers weight, reduces contact surface prolonging line life and improving casting distance.

All our dealers sell at our minimum wholesale and retail pricing so you will find them all the same everywhere. Just go to the one with the best service.

You might want to check with your dealers in about two weeks. I don't believe Mudhole has any left. We are wiped out as well.

Hang in there they should be here shortly.

Thanks to all.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.111.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:14PM

Joe How come the Fuji's are flexable as stated above and yours seem to be stiff? Would they tend to break if slamed on a hard surface like a boat?

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:41PM

Hi Bill,

I think going to the stiffer Titanium will make them springier but I'm not sure how important this will be in the performance of the guide. I would have been just as comfortable with the first material we used. I don't think this necessarily translates to a better guide.

It may be the type of Titanium we are using but our guides won't break when hitting a hard surface. They will act a lot like stainless in that regard they will bend. With titanium you can usually bend them back without a problem.

Warmest regards, Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.111.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:56PM

Thanks Joe, the show was a big success, I keep reading. Sorry I was not there Got a link to your site on mine

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:31AM

FYI... I happened to actually get a bunch of the Titans from Mudhole before they sold out.

I haven't used any of them yet but will be shortly. As for quality / fit & finish... they looked great and seem to be very robust. I'm excited to try them out and can't wait for my backorder to get filled.

Joe... you better keep the production line cranking... you're going to sell a lot of these...

Erik

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 05:36AM

If anyone had had them in Charlotte they would have sold out by 11AM.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster