I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New FT models in stock!
Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 07:40PM

Hey everyone!

Just got the new FT902-4 and FT903-4 models in! These are the fast action 9'0" 4pc models rated for 2 and 3wt lines. The power of these blanks allows for people to cast matching lines to the weight of the blank or you can use much heavier lines on them if you want a rod that will handle a variety of line weights.

For all you who are waiting, our FT908-4 8wt models are back in stock as well.
We expect a rush on these so get your orders in early.

Thanks,

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises
Five Rivers Rod Blanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New FT models in stock!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:24PM

Thanks, Dan! You just made us--and a whole bunch of our customers--very happy wrappers! :)

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:02AM

I can't wait to find out what the 9ft 2wt and 9ft 3wt FT's CC at!

Could we possibly be looking at the world's most powerful "2wt"?LOL!

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:50AM

Hi Dan - and others,
Are you saying I can have one rod that will cast both a 3 and a 5 weight and maybe even heavier lines ? Sorry to sound stupid but I sounds a bit strange and I would like to know a little more about the idea and construction behind these rods and how they cast with the different lines.

Sounds great though - one trout rod to do it all :-)

Thanks
Peter

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:16AM

Peter, I have never used any flyrod that wasn't capable of casting many different lines. However, what makes Dan's FTs unique is that they have very very fast actions and lots of power for their ratings. So not only can you cast many different lines, you can do it efficiently with a short stroke cast. They have a soft enough tip to load with the rated line yet lots and lots of power in the mid and butt section that you can tap into to deliver much more weight. Check out the CCS database and you will see that these FT are not like other fly blanks.

I have gradually come to really like deep flexing, less powerful blanks. Just a matter of personal preference I guess and lots of trial and experimentation. But, if you are a fan of power and efficiency and flick of the wrist type casting, you will love these blanks. They can really deliver your line with absolute minimum effort yet still feel like a fly rod. Great design and thought went into these rods you can tell.

Steve

Date: March 03, 2005 10:29AM

Thanks Steve,
I'm not a fan of soft tip stiff but fly rods but I suspect these blanks are a bit more advanced than just that - I was curious about the FT blanks since I saw the CC numbers when the were first entered into the CC database and I was surprised - very surprised - to se the - high - numbers.

Is the tip still stable when the blank is flexed deeper by a heavier line and does the rod feel very different as you go from lighter to heavier lines and the flex moves down the blank ?

Peter

Date: March 03, 2005 10:50AM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the tip being stable. It certainly does not feel like you're about to break it, if that's what you mean. Yes, the blank feels gradually less and less crisp as you continue to add load but I don't know how it could possibly not be the case. Obviously the more load applied, the less crisp and efficient any rod will be. But it really takes an extreme load to flex the lower 2 or 3' of the blank. It's very stiff down low.

The one I built and test cast like crazy was the FT863-4. I had no problem making long casts with lines ranging from 3 to 7wt. Even with 50 feet of 7wt. line in the air I never felt like I was putting the blank at risk. And even heavily loaded, the rod was still quite responsive and you could keep the line moving quickly. This rod excelled at delivering 4-6wt. lines for me with minimal effort or false casting. I ended up building a second shorter handle for my FT863-4 that made it about 7'5" and CC'd at about 5.0 and low 70s for AA. Really versatile rod which of course now belongs to someone else because I am a hopeless addict who can never just keep and fish one rod.

Date: March 03, 2005 10:58AM

Thanks again Steve,
by stable I meant - does it loose its precision in the tip section - tracking is the right word I think ?

So if the new 903-4 is as good as your FT863-4 it would be ideal for trout - from tiny dryflies on a # 3 or 4 line to heavy streamers on a # 7 line - this could be very good :-)

Peter

Date: March 03, 2005 11:13AM

Well, in my experience most rods actually track better when they are more heavily loaded and this one was no different. In other words, I find it easier to control the accuracy of my casting when I have a fair amount of deflection in the rod as I'm casting. But, that could just be a personal preference thing. When I'm casting for distance I'm usually just covering good looking water and accuracy is less important to me.

Yes, I would feel pretty safe in saying that the 903-4 would likely be a very good all-around trout rod, assuming it has similar characteristics to the 863-4 and 904-4. Matter of fact, temptation has just gotten the better of me yet again and I have an e-mail to Dan trying to get my hands on the 902-4. I'm guessing that the 902-4 would be great with 3-6wt. lines and I'd like to get one and check it out. Like I said, a hopeless addict.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:23AM

Having the been afflicted with the same addiction and being the proud owner of an FT 905-4 I emailed Dan about ordering the FT 902 last evening. This AM to fully feed that addiction and to avoid, "buyers remorse" Ihave contacted Dan to include a FT 903 as well.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: March 03, 2005 11:25AM

Thank you thank you Stan for sharing your sad and hilarious story. Sounds a whole lot like something I would do. Look forward to comparing notes with you.

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:08PM

I think I"ll be ordering one too. I'm alreadying getting a 10' 8 wt FT for a customer, possibly a Sig V for his buddy, and why not the 902 or 903 for myself. I'm thinking the 2 wt would be nice.

Thanks,
Rick

Date: March 03, 2005 01:13PM

Doesn't seem like Dan will have a problem with these things collecting dust.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster