I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Discolored cork handles
Posted by: Dan Martek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 10:56PM

Hi my name is Dan. I recently bought some light duty inshore rods. After the first time I used one of them I noticed the cork handle was beginning to turn black. I would like to ask two questions. First is there anyway that I can restore the cork to its original color. Second is there anything that I can apply to the cork to keep it from turning black in the future. Thanx in advance for any help.
DAN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Discolored cork handles
Posted by: Carmen De Franco (---.hns.aptalaska.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:07AM

Dan,try powder Cascade dish washing detergent.Should make the cork look new.
C.P.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.86.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:59AM

i use dishwashing soap (palmolive or dawn, etc. apple scent ;-) with a kitchen dish sponge, the type with the scrubber on one side. i use the scrubber side for cleaning.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 07:50AM

Ditto's to the dishwashing liquid and a good scrubbing. After it drys, you might look at applying a cork seal, a stain, or a couple of coats of Tru-oil to aid in protecting your handles.

You can do a search, there are tons of information on sealing/finishing cork.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 02, 2005 11:04AM

Dan. I really like the look of stain. The darker colors look like wood. Miniwax Golden Pecan (no poly) is a lighter, but popular color. I put on about 5 coats. The last couple take 24 hours to dry. Creates a slightly harder surface with a light sheen. Really classy. There are some photos on the photo page.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 02, 2005 11:51AM

Once you get the grip cleaned (scrubbing with dishwashing liquid), try using Trondak U-40's Cork Seal (there's a link to the Trondak site on the left column). I love this stuff. It does change the feel of the cork slightly, but NOT negatively. It still has the same "traction" in your hand. I usually sand my grips with 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper before I apply it. BTW, I have no affiliation with this company.

Walt
Ripon, CA

Date: March 02, 2005 10:33PM

Thanks for all of the help to everyone. I'll try the dish washng soap. Im a little curious about the min wax varnish wont it make the grips slippery?
ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU VERY MUCH
DAN

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:54AM

Dan. The miniwax is a stain, not as thick as a varnish. And no, it does not make the handle slick, just a tad harder.

Date: March 03, 2005 10:33PM

Thanx Don. Stain sounds like a good idea. I might just have to give it a try. Can I still use a cork sealer like the U-40 suff over the stain. Once I gert the collor right i'ld like to keep it that way. Once again Thanx !
DAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster