I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winston IIx versus Sage Xi, XP - in a 10wt
Posted by: Zachary Stowe (---.eushc.org)
Date: March 01, 2005 03:38PM

I got a gift certificate and the store only sells Winston or Sage Blanks. I am looking for opinions about a 10 wt 4 pc - Winston Boron IIx, Sage Xi, Sage XP - I have an XP in a 6 wt, but have no idea how these rods will compare in the 10 wt. This rod wll be my salmon, and some salt water rod. Thanks for any feedback.

zach

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winston IIx versus Sage Xi, XP - in a 10wt
Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:15PM

Zach,

I know the Xi2 and XP. The Xi2 has more power further up the rod. It is a very technical rod to cast IMO. I don't like that series of blanks one bit. The XP is a little softer. It is a powerful rod, but not my first choice for banging a ton of line and a chicken wing all day. Just not enough OOMPH.

Personally I love my SCIV 3 pc (Pre IPC) 9' 10 wt. It is a cannon for line but has a soft tip end for short stuff.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Barret Chrisman (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:53PM

Zach,

I am not sure what kinds of lines you intend to use with the rod, but I had a chance to use a 9wt Xi2 when striper fishing in the Sac Delta over Thanksgiving week this year, and really really liked it. I was casting 28' LC 13 shooting heads for darn near 11 hours straight, and loved it. It is a fast and powerful blank, which is a good thing for this type of fishing. I have also casted a 6wt Xi2 which my buddy has for So Cal Surf fishing. Worked well there too.

I would love to have one, but the price is WAY too much for my tastes, so I am thinking of getting a Dan Craft FT 10wt instead. But, since you have a gift cert, price isn't as much of a concern. Just my 2 cents.

Barret

Posted by: Ray Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 08:41PM

Zach,

Personally, I love my Sig V 10wt, but the guys at the shop up here in Juneau swear by their 10wt. XPs when the kings come in. They're both great guys and even better fishermen.

Ray

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 12:28AM

I just had an xp built for me which is how I got into building. Both rods are excellent. I would go for the winston based on weight at ten feet. It is going to be a little lighter a tad bit crisper. You can't go wrong.

Posted by: Zachary Stowe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:59AM

Thanks for all the responses.

I actually was planning on going back to Dan for the 10 wt, since I love my 4 wt from him. I certainly agree that the price of all of these blanks is more than I would like. I guess there are some advantages to having a Mother In Law with money. I was going to use for the reel, but already have two nice reels in that size and just do not need another one.

zach

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster