I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G.Loomis
Posted by: David Banaka (216.64.255.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:52PM

Anyone know how many modules the GLX and or IMX blanks are? I had a customer ask and I could not give him an answer.

Thanks

David Banaka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G.Loomis
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 11:15PM

David,
I do not know about the GLX but I recently talked to the Loomis service manager about the IMX blanks and was surprised to find out that they are actually standard modulus graphite but they do have graphite scrim, where most blanks have glass scrim. The graphite scrim results in the effective modulus of the overall blanks being higher than most other standard modulus or even intermediate blanks.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 11:27PM

I don't know myself about the modulus, but the IMX is their top of the line. GLx is lower.

I don't put too much stock in modulus. As a builder, I can't measure it. I'm at the mercy of the maker to tell me what it is. As a fisherman, I can't can't feel it. Some high mod. rods are dead for me, some aren't. It's meaningless to me.

I recently converted a long time pro who swore by Loomis IMX rods to the lowly St. Croix SCIII in terms of strength and sensitivity. Personally, I think a rod's performance has less to do with modulus than method of manufacturing.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 11:32PM

Mick I think you switched the lines as GLX is the top line for G Loomis

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: David Banaka (216.64.255.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 12:43AM

I hear of people wanting the IMX blanks but cannot get them. Is a GLX an IMX blank produced for the shelf?

I think G.Loomis is a great rod but as far as feel goes and sensativity I prefer the rainshadow or lamiglas in a G-1000 or a certified pro.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 01:11AM

The GLX is a high mod. graphite that was at the time of it's introduction was the only graphite designed only for rodbuilding. The rest are aerospace/aviation/military graphites that happen to be used in rodbuilding. Whether this is still true I don't know, the technology might have caught up with the GLX grapite as it's over 10 years old now. The graphite in the Lamiglas IM700 and IMX blanks I was told years ago were identical, but Lamiglas had a glass scrim while the IMX did not. The graphite was 47 mil graphite I believe.

Spencer

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:29AM

You maywant to read the article in RodMaker that Emory did pertaining to the various technical terms used in the manufacturing of rod blanks.

The modulus plays a huge role in rod efficiency but the overall design (wall thickness, diameter and taper) play an equal role.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:34AM

I know that the GLX graphite was quite high(over 60 million I believe),and while the IMX was slightly lower down the scale,I think I have read numerous times about it being higher than 47 million though(I could be wrong though).I have several older IMX's with the lighter graphite scrim and regardless of the modulous they are a fantastic and light weight blank.Their only knock was durability,but mine have held up well.I can't compare them to the new ones though.

If you go to [] and look in the graphite rodbuilding section and read the intro by Al Campbell,there is a comparison of blanks and their modulous ratings there in the last paragraph.Not sure how accurate it is but it puts the GLX and Sage graphite IV around the top in modulous at 65 million(of course higher modulous rods are out there than these now) and IMX and Sage graphite III would fall next in line at around 55 million.Personally I don't care what modulous a blank is as long as it feels right and has the performance I'm looking for.A higher modulous rating certainly doesn't automatically make for a better blank.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:37AM

Well said. A high modulus fiber can be used to make a extremely efficient and fantastic performing blank, but without a good design behind it there is no guarantee that that's what you'll wind up with. Many mid-range modulus blanks continue to be popular because of their overall combination of performance and reasonable durability at much lower cost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster