I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"The People" at "The Show"
Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:43PM

The blanks, the guides, the thread, etc. were interesting and much to my wife’s dismay; I brought home a bunch of stuff. But the people are what really made “The Show”. For those of you who couldn’t attend, here are a few thumbnail sketches of some of the people I met:

Putter- didn’t look anything like I thought he would. I had him pictured as a silver-haired grampa type. Wrong. This guy is basically out of control with this marbleizing thing. Probably needs to switch to decaf. I understand that the Charlotte P.D. was pretty annoyed about the marbleized parking meters.

Bob McCamey- never met a stranger in his life. Never, ever. Great guy who knows his ice cubes and could sell them to Eskimos.

Roger Seider- just as down to earth a guy as you’d ever want to meet but accepts no responsibility for getting people addicted to rod building.

Ken Preston- great guy who endured my constant string of questions all weekend. I like his philosophy about rod building that goes something like …”When in doubt, do something and see what happens.”

Bill Stevens- very talented guy who informed us that rod builders as a group may actually now qualify for “cult” status.

Tom Kirkman- Tom is the perpetual motion machine of the rod building scene. Deserves many, many accolades for producing “The Show.” Also reassures beginners that it’s OK to deviate from the norm, break the rules, see what works and what doesn’t.

Andy Dear- where else are you going to find a guy to help you sort through a huge container of bargain-basement blanks to find just the right one you’re looking for?

The Mudhole crew- just as nice and helpful in person as they are on the phone.

Mark Crouse- absolutely the Leonardo da Vinci of the rod building world.

The Batson boys- the epitome of a customer-oriented company. Even in a crowded, elbow to elbow exhibit, these guys took all of the time needed to discuss specific questions.

The Seminar Presenters- the common theme among all of the seminar presnters was the intense desire for everyone to succeed at rod building. Where else do you find that type of behavior in our world these days?

The Fly Fishing group in attendance- couldn’t understand what all the rod-building fuss was about. Some wondered aloud why the rod building aisle was so crowded.

Everyone else- in meeting all of the other exhibitors and rod builders, I didn’t meet a single person all weekend that I wouldn’t loan my chainsaw to.

Thanks to Tom and everyone else for the hard work in putting on a great show!!

Pete Kornegay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "The People" at "The Show"
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:10PM

I echo thost comments and would only add a few more. Ralph O'Quinn and Joe Kassuba in the Trondak booth were great. I don't know why they do what they do but I'm glad they do it. Jimi Ellis was fantastic and helped me out with a couple problems I've been having with inscriptions and decals. Ron Schneider and his wife are great down home people. I only wish their booth had been more open so I could have plundered through more "stuff".

I also agree that all the excitement was in the rod building show. I spent a couple hours Saturday afternoon wandering the ailses in the fly flishing show. Not much going on. The rod building show was a totally different atmosphere. Much more busy and much more stuff. I have to think the rod building show is pretty much carrying the fly fishing side at this point.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:12PM

Pete Kornegay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I didn’t meet a single person all weekend that I wouldn’t loan my chainsaw to.

Where I come from, that's about as high a compliment you can give someone. Wish I could have been there!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:16PM

Hey, Dundee, if you or Pete lend me your chainsaw, expect it back in as good of condition as when you loaned it and for it to sport a new marble job!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:19PM

hahahhah Randy.

I do have this motorcycle however.......

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:24PM

I agree with all the above observations but I want to give kudos to Andy Dear's darling wife Emily. Just a lovely and gracious person who demonstrated great charm and poise in the midst of the madness. Oh, and she kindly let me put my handful of blanks and components in their booth while I continued to shop and didn't get mad when I knocked a box of cork foregrips off the table, through the curtain and into the casting area. Nice work Andy-she's a keeper! Hope to see you both next year.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:30PM

I had the pleasure of sharing supper Sunday night with this wonderful couple and others; she's definitely a keeper, Andy! Please email the picture of all of us when you get it on the computer. It was really nice of Emily to take the picture for all of us!! Thanks, Ken Preston!!!!!!!!!!
The supper was the cap of the weekend, that's for sure!

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:45PM

William,

In case you haven't heard, Ralph will heretofore be known as "The Legendary Ralph O'Quinn."

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 09:30AM

I also heard from the Grapevine that Roger may be prosecuted for insider trading when he advised Ralph to sell his 3M stock just before the announcement of the new materials and tooling for the Flexcoat Arbors. Tape sales worldwide plummeted! I was present for the above referenced annointing and it truly was "priceless".

Gon Fishn

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 02:54PM

I had a great discussion with Dr. Hanneman who explained some things about the CCS which I feel will help me a ton in some things I want to do.

Y'know those video swing analyzers?
Hmm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster