I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thank you
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 05:24PM

Thank you to all the people who stopped by to have a chat with me in Charlotte, and Putter, and John Knight and Billy Vivona for sitting in for me while I was away doing seminars and demos. I had a blast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank you
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 06:35PM

Ken, you're a true gentleman. I was embarrassed when you got back from your presentation, to se me propped up in your seat, wrapping a but wrap, with 3/4 of my rod building components from New York strewn about your table. Not to mention allowing me to leave my rods on the side of your booth as a booby trap. I really appreciate that., thanks.

I will be in a booth next year, one way or another. That was a great idea you had to get a "hang out" booth - I really enjoyed the conversation with you, John, Putter (who's WAY TOO happy, lol) and Mike. And the hundreds of others I had the pleasure to meet, and almost instantly forget their names. lol.

What a BLAST.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 07:01PM

Billy ---

All about learning; seeing and doing. Nothing to be embarassed about, nothing at all. Especially with you doing a wrap next to David demonstrating Visual Wrap --- a natural ' one / two combo'.... Maybe we should go in on a "hang out double or triple wide next year . Just set up some
lathes and make a mess out of the convention center floor Putter's epoxy drippings, your thread tags and I'll rip out some cork handles with EVA & hypalon/wood inlays. I think I had the BEST location of all at the show. I had Bob McKamey from Custom Tackle supply and Coach Paul across from me; Mudhole on one side; the Guild on the other; Pac Bay across the aisle; Dean from DonArt next to PacBay; Flex Coat on the other end and
Andy Dear of Lamar right across from Mudhole & the American Tackle 'showcase' as well. It should have been a SHOPPING spree for everyone! A true smogasborg. Check out the blanks from Batson & Mudhole; grab som great cork and wood to turn from Andy; composite color cork from Roy across from Bill Batson; wander down & check out more blank selections from Mudhole; pick up all the thread, glues and epoxies from Mudhole; the bargains galore from Bob at CTS, lots of really experienced builders "floating'" in the booths with demonstration rods for spiral wraps. What a show! It's really a shame we didn't do a "theater in the round" area of rod builders doing nothing but continuous demos. All the demos were fantastic!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2005 07:11PM

We're going to install a new type of "continuous" demo for the 2006 event. I think everyone will be very impressed.

Posted by: John Meyer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 07:23PM

Thanks Ken for a great booth. Lots of cool experiments and demos were done there. I met a lot of people while hanging out at your booth!

Date: February 28, 2005 07:23PM

repeat sorry...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2005 07:24PM by John Meyer.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 07:37PM

John - pleasure meeting you Saturday night.

Tom - was a pleasure meeting you and speaking with you, I was fortunate enough to chit chat about an array of topics with you.

Ken - that's a great idea. One of the things Tom had mentioned to me was something along the lines of a fly tyers aisle for rod builders. Whatever happens, we should soordinate as Andy's Jet lathe went to waste sitting underneath his mandrel table. We could have pulled it out, turned some wood, cork & foam, and made a complete mess of teh entire area, lol.

The wheels were spinning in my head from the time I hopped in the car service in Charlotte at 9:45Pm, until I finally forced myself asleep at 3:30AM. Lots of ideas were spurned over this weekend, great @#$%&, learning, hopefully teaching - couldn't ask for a better time. As dumb as I thought it was, nametags should be a neccesity, it's really tought to keep track...unless you were a really bright shirt like Jim Rippe - lol.

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: February 28, 2005 08:54PM

Ken,
It was nice to meet you and thanks for letting us use you dremel for cutting down those blanks, wish I would have had more time to strike up a conversation but I know how after a long week-end everyone was ready to wrap it up and get out of there.

Oh! And so sorry for knocking that rod out of the dryer ,that was embarrassing. ( OK Billy, l can hear you now) " What else could we expect from a West Coast fly guy "

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 08:56PM

Thanks to you, Ken! What a great person this guy is; couldn't run across another like him in another 50 years! Let me take over his booth for an hour - like Billy; can't say enough about this guy!

Putter

Date: February 28, 2005 09:12PM

Billy same here. Next time I'm up visiting my cousin I'll give you a call...

You guys have a great ideas about a big booth some lathes. The show was awesome but that would be something good to add next year.

I saw some people wrap a guide for the first time in Ken’s booth. I bet they left the show with some supplies for their first rod.

I was really happy to see Putters demo on marbleizing in person. I already made a few pens that came out pretty good! Found some good pigment at hobby town by the way. A real dark blue like you had putter but it is a real thick liquid.

Thanks Tom. The weekend was really awesome. Meeting everyone was great and everyone was sharing ideas and techniques that they had developed and I was soaking it up. I went from one demo to another, not wanting to miss anything..

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:40PM

Ken, I was afraid you and Putter might experience trouble getting home. From the postings I assume you had no problems. I got up this morning to discover 6 inches of snow and I am just 2 hours west of Charlotte. The ground was warm so most of it has already melted off the roads. This snow must have been just rain at Charlotte. Next rod I build i am going to sparkle it blue like you did in the demo. Great to meet everyone.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:57PM

I still have to get out of DC (Dulles airport) tomorrow morning and it's still snowing here in Dumfries, Virginia. I landed here at 11:00am with a 550' ceiling; they shut the airport down at 500', so I was kinda lucky to get this far. I see it was still snowing at Ken's house in Maryland when he got home by his picture on the board.

Nice to have met you, Ed! It did just rain in Charlotte.

Hope it lifts by morning so we can get back to sunny North Dakota (and leave this "blame Putter, he brings it with him" behind me).

Putter

Posted by: Capt ray brown (155.94.62.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:49PM

Ken,
I enjoyed meeting you , and seeing you work.
capt. ray - fishsticks4u

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster