I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Float Rod
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 03:08PM

This past Sunday, while landing a fish, I mistakenly forgot to let a little tension out on the line and flex the tip of my coveted 3PC 13'6" Raven Float Rod (sniffle, sniffle) enough that the top piece broke in half. Here is what I did to "fix" the problem. My hopes are that you guys won't dog on me about how it'll never hold up. (fingers crossed)

I cut the broken ends down with a sharp cut off disc on the dremel and found a spare piece of graphite blank that would fit snuggley inside the broken pieces. I sanded the blank insert and used it to "shovel" in as much 5 minute epoxy as I felt would be necessart fill and hold it inside securely.

I put it in to just below snug on both broken pieces and then got the broken pieces (after cutting them well) to fit one over the other. All three pieces dried and were solid. I wrapped over the ends about 4 inches total (2" on both sides)of the brake and then saturated the wrap with flexcoat lite, but only enough to wet the wrap on the first round. I then rewraped overtop of that an additional wrap of thread and recoated. I have one more coat to apply to "finish" the repair. I should note that the ends of the graphite insert both fall under a wrap on a guide. So the pressure created should be stabilized by having a wrap on both ends where the torque is bending the rod inside.

Ok feel free to blast my repair.

Domenic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Float Rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.162.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 08:35PM

Rod bond???

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:20PM

According to the repair article (in library at the top) by Ralph O'Quinn, it states to use a lower modulus inner sleeve. Lets hope your repair doesn't fail. Good Luck!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:43PM

I'm not familiar with your particular rod, but it sounds like you made a very strong repair. Perhaps too strong though. How much flex does the rod normally have in that area and how long was your insert? If you haven't put the guide on yet, you'll be stiffening it up even more after all the thread.

Give it a really good static test before you go fishing and see what you think. Better to have it fail in the yard than on the water.

Posted by: Randy Emerich (---.sl.psu.edu)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:53AM

Domenic. Not a bad repair because the only bad repair is no repair. I would have used a fiberglass sleeve to go inside of the two pieces instead of graphite. The reason is that the graphite sleeve may be less flexible than the original graphite. Mick stated that you should static test the rod and that is because you will see if the rod gets a flat spot on the repair. The other is that I don't know if I would have wrapped over the break twice. You may experience a different feel with that much build up at the tip of your rod. Just my .02 worth. Give it a try and have fun. Try building another rod and use the old one for a spare!

Randy

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 09:34AM

Domenic,

Like they all said above, you should have used a fiberglass oversleeve here, but it doesn't matter for that rod. There is very little power in the upper half of that rod such that you won't be able to put enough pressure on the tip (without high sticking it again). When you start putting anything on it, the rod will bend lower and the tip will straighten. You could have gone lighter with one coat of thread and finish, not nearly as much epoxy (no need to goop it all in), and been lighter in the end. Not bad though. Should fish well.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 12:23PM

Thanks for your responses guys. Once again, I am amazed at how much wisdom is dished out without reserve on this site. And, in that, without ego or attitude..... You all are great!

D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster