I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gold winding checks?
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 07:00AM

I want to use gold framed guides(Fugi SIC ring/gold frame strippers and TiGold single foot fly guides) on a few upcoming flyrod projects and was wondering what most people tend to use as a winding check to match these?

I guess I could always just use a black one since black goes with anything,but what I would really like is something nice in gold.

Does anyone actually offer gold colored winding checks,and if so,who?If not,what other options are there?

I guess I could always do some searching in amongst the inexpensive jewlery section at the local Walmart or something for some tiny rings that might work,but I'm not sure how involved I want to get time wise with something like this since these aren't exactly expensive projects.What other options are there?

Thanks all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gold winding checks?
Posted by: Mike Lagowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:48AM

Stay out of the jewelry dept.......
Check with Anglers Workshop, I'm ordering one today, they list them in their catalog. Gold anodized Aluminum.
Mike

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 11:10AM

Tony,
Check out the hardware department at stores like Lowes or Home Depot and look for finishing washers, they come in gold and silver in several different sizes. You can use a tapered punch to size them to your blank. Use the punch slowly and carefully or you will split them out. You can only enlarge them so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2005 11:13AM by sam fox.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.234.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:07PM

Also Toe Rings Ya I know but you can buy them at K Mart cheap Gold and silver

Posted by: MaryLouVandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:39AM

Tony...
You can make your own custom winding checks by using epoxy and then wrapping it in gold thread.....

ML

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:30AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:54PM

Tony -
I saw some absolutely AWESOME winding checks at the PacBay booth in Charlotte. I think Bob McKamey may have some - but I didn't see them at any of the other distributor's booths. NOTE: I was kept pretty busy so I didn't have a lot of time to look at very much of anything for myself. In fact if Bob hadn't dropped off 4 blanks for me (Rainshadows) on Friday night and Andy Dear on Sunday I would have come back pretty empty handed ... Well, there was the "excursion" to Scheider's down the end of the aisle and sitting next to Mudhole cost me a few dollars in those nice green frame guides....

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:22PM

Yeah, Ken, I got a set of those green frame spinning guides with the gold insert, too. And I saw the Fuji gold winding checks on Bob McKamey's table. But I think Todd or the coach told me they weren't in yet. I'll be looking for one of those as well. Next year, Im getting a home equity line of credit before I hit the show. And if you want the best of the best deals at the show, get there before the doors open. Ya snooze, ya lose. I got the last Pac Bay rod wrapper Bob had with him, and it was 9:30 AM Saturday!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 10:36PM

Fran,
I was happy that I "scored" one of the Pac Bay replacement chucks / supports from Dean at DonArt on Friday night before he was done
unpacking ... He only had two of them & I don't think I saw any others except for the demo one at the PacBay booth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster