I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blue Flipping blank?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 11:54PM

Hay guys
Does any one make a Blue Flipping Blank ( stick ) 7 FT Thinking of the Hot shot blank. But blue??
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blue Flipping blank?
Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:13AM

You may try SC Legend Tournament. Looks like thier "flipping stick" is 8'0", but there's a few 7' blanks that may fit the bill for you.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (Richard's Rod & Reel) (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:14AM

Bill,
The St. Cxoix 4C80HMF is a Flippin Blank (8 ft.) and is gloss cobalt pearl blue.
The ATC model AEFS843T is the American Tackle Elite Series Flipping Blank in Midnight Gloss Blue.
There is also a 7'6 and 8' model in this series.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

email: info@rodreel.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:32AM

Thanks guys Going to take a look at that Elite Rich

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:04AM

Bill,
I do not think that you really want to use a Hot Shot blank for a Flippin Stick. Because of the way a Flippin Stick is used you will want a blank that has a slower action, more power in the tip. It seems to me that using a Hot Shot blank for a Flippin Stick is just asking for a break in the tip area.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:20AM

Thanks but this guy is a bass fisherman, and from going on bass boards they are cheap ( no offence ) He says he wants a fast action, medium heavy power, 12-20 line lb, 7FT,
But then again from the bass boards I have been to, I have seen many like the $60.00 rods. ( off the shelf ) So I am probably wasting my time?? He wants to flip and cast spinners, of about 3/4 oz.

Date: February 28, 2005 09:22AM

Plus he has also said - If my price is right ???!!!

Date: February 28, 2005 09:33AM

Bill,
There is nothing that prevents your customer from doing something stupid. The question is do you want to be a party to it. I would show the customer a Flippin Stick and Hot Shot blank side by side and use the blanks to demonstrate what the problem is. They are very different types of blanks with much different actions designed for entirely different applications.

Date: February 28, 2005 09:44AM

You are right Emory. No two blanks flex the same. Thanks Don't want to give him a cheap blank, then he breaks it and comes crying to me. And don't really think he will pay for a good one. Already tod him I will not guarantee a cheap blank, heck if the company will not I am not

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:45AM

Bill,
Just a suggestion for a blank would be the shikari SHII FS764. It is black, so you would have to paint it blue, but it is probably the most poplar flipping blank around right now. Of course the price wont compete with off the shelp crap, but it will be a killer rod. And, remember, not all Bass guys are cheap, most are willing to pay the money for good stuff. It aint just you fly guys that have way too much money to spend.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.14.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:56AM

Ya us fly guys got so much money and still can't go to the show???? LOL
Thanks going to check out that Shikari
This guy was talking abou - Diawa, fenwick and shamano?? Go to places like Mud Hole and you don't even see them names???

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:35AM

In the tournament bass lingo there is a big big difference in a flippin stick and a spinner bait rod.

In true flippin context the fish must be yanked from hydrilla, brush tops, under piers, rossa cane, lilly pads and other heavy cover. The fish gotta come out of the water the same way the bait went in on the pronto. Rainshadow IMB 843, 844, 845 are my choice. The 845s can also be substituted for telephone and short height pole vaulting poles. In Florida flippin means tie on a 2 oz Torpedo sinker - flip it as high in the air as you can and let it crash the lure back through the lilly pads. When a fish is hooked they YANK fish and about four pounds of pads straight up in the air and the whole mess falls in the boat. If you want to do this with a finesse spinner bait bass rod have fun - they will break it the first day out back in the butt section and come wagging it back to your shop in pieces. This is a real good opportunity for a custom builder because none of the commercial rods on the shelf in the discount stores have near enough back bone in the butt to satisfy the tournament fisherman. Ask him does he want a tournament first prize or a broken rod that was not built to do the job needed.

By the way Emory - if you read this - we met with Todd Vivian in Charlotte and found the popping rod blanks that you assisted with - they are highly satisfactory. You are fortunate to be located close enouth to him - what a resourse! Thanks again!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2005 10:37AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: February 28, 2005 11:05AM

Bill,
I could not agree more. Todd is very knowlegeable and very helpful and sincerely supportive of custom rod building. A really good guy. For him to evaluate blanks made by a competitor for you and tell you that says a heck of a lot. By the way the Lamiglas Popping blanks are excellent blanks as well. The Rainshadow are a little higher modulus so they are somewhat lighter and more sensitive but the Lamiglas are tougher. Personally I make a lot of one piece Steelhead drift rods out of the Rainshadow IP963's but I also make a lot of on piece Salmon spinner casting rods out of the Lamiglas GP964's.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.234.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:19PM

What about the American Tackle Elite, AEMBC844 it is a 7FT MH Fast, 12-20 line 1/4-1 OZ
Also Cobolt Blue??

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.182.111.98.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:06PM

Bill, as a bass fisherman, I would not try flipping with the rod you've described. A flippin' stick is much more akin to a pool cue than a fishing rod. Someone said it earlier, more often than not, the fish has to come back through the same hole the bait went into--and it needs to happen on the hookset. A Pitchin rod is a different thing altogether. That would be more like what you have described. It needs a little action in the tip. You also want a little action in the rod tip while using spinnerbaits. You want the rod tip to wobble with the turn of the blade.

(And for the record, we're not all cheap. When you consider that you can spend in the neighborhood of $60,000 for a bass boat, $200-$300 for a reel and $185 for a quality rod, bass fishing ain't cheap. I've spent about $240 on a rod that I'm building for myself. I wouldn't call that cheap, either.)

With that said, CTS makes a cobalt blue blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.84.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:16PM

I just happen to get the ones that want the K Mart rods. I would not build one of those, don't need a lot of repairs coming back on a blank that has no warrantee
I was looking at the American Tackle Mag Bass blanks, also Cobolt blue

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.182.111.98.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:19PM

One other thing that I failed to mention. I can't imagine anyone flipping with anything less than 30# test.

And you won't be able to compete in price with Daiwa, Shimano or Fenwick rods. If he had said Falcon, Castaway or Kistler, you might be okay. BTW, Castaway uses Shikari blanks. It's a well-respected rod among bass fisherman. Rumor has it that Rogue makes the Kistler blanks (don't know for sure). And Falcon's not talking.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.84.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:25PM

People like this guy -- I don't need!!! I have even stopped looking for any blanks just to have them not reply. Now I hit them with a ( nice ) price, less work. If they come back fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster