I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is It True
Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 06:44PM

I read on somebody's topic that it is a myth, started by an old rod building newsletter, you need worry about spine placement. Is it true it doesn't matter where the spine is placed/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is It True
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.176.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 07:43PM

A lot say it is no REAL big deal?
But I have taken a blank and marked the spine on it. Then put it on two stands. I put the spine at 0 or 180 and flicked the tip. I noticed that the tip would go UP and DOWN in a straight line when in this position. If I rotated the blank and flicked the tip, I noticed the tip would go in a circular fashion?
Don't know if this effects the cast in any way or not?
But just in case, I put my guides at either 0 or 180 of the spine.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 08:54PM

It is gospel if you believe that spine makes a difference.

It is a myth if you believe it does not.

Each side has good and bad arguments for and against.

Only Yogi has it right: He feels very strongly both ways.

You will have to decide for yourself. Do a search and read the posts. Read articles. Build rods.

Personally, I stopped worrying about spine a while back and now only build to the straightness of the blank. But that is just my humble opinion only.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:42AM

The fact that spine makes a difference is 100% true.

The degree of that effect on casting is most likely negligible, the only way to know is to try. Mark your spine, tape on guides and cast with both guide placements.

Christian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2005 01:42AM by Christian Brink.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:49AM

They are easy to find so I use them Be on the safe side??

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: February 28, 2005 02:44AM

I think it's also depends on the blank... Some have very pronounced spine, some not. In the first case the difference on which side guides are placed may be felt considerable, in the second - very subtle.

Just my 0.02

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2005 08:52AM

I think it's better to say that there is no correct or incorrect position for spine orientation.

I would suggest you read the FAQs page on this site for the additional information on spine - what it is, what it does, what it cannot do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster