I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BUTT BOX END CAPS......
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 06:30PM

I attempted to go thru all the sponsors on the LH side frame, but there's just too many and the ones I did search did not have what I'm looking for..... replacement rubber buttons with a male thread, for use with high-end aluminum butt caps. For whatever reason, the custom rod makers down south (lower mainland) and the subsequent owners of the rods did not ensure that the original butt box ends stayed where they were screwed in... and the sports lose them. I guess the idea of easy-removal loc-tite does not compute... I dunno.... anyway...As I'm pretty much the only game in town here, they ask me if I have any replacements. I did have some, but my source in Vancouver dried up.
Now, with the power of the board and the web, I may get lucky !!! Can a reader or a sponsor point me int he right direction? Thanks in advance. KAD.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BUTT BOX END CAPS......
Date: February 27, 2005 06:56PM

Here's a link ot a photo of one of these buttons I'm on about:
[www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.176.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 08:15PM

One way to find out is to type Hopkins Holloway in your search engine and see who comes up

Date: February 27, 2005 10:47PM

This I did, Bill, and angler's workshop comes up as the North American distributor for H&H. I searched their web site, and they don't show up..just some other styles of butt boxes, more than likely Hardy clones with a rivetted rubber button, probably made offshore.
No worries.... now that I know that H&H carries them, I can either ask anglers workshop to import, or see if I can just bring them in direct from Britain.
Here in BC, there are several "cottage industries" machining the butt box sold complete with button, but they are not interested in selling the buttons seperate, just a complete unit.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 10:54PM

Does it have to be the stock item?? Maybe you can make some thing to fit? may even look nicer. It is a custom rod

Date: February 27, 2005 11:05PM

That's the next step, Bill.....what I did not post is; there are several rodsters now living in Smithers who have the butt box affixed to their custom rods from the lower mainland (Greater Vancouver), but....who have lost the rubber buttons. A complete butt box with button is approx 25 US dollars, and the sports would rather I source out buttons rather than lose what's bonded to the rod.
I have about 10 complete setups, but no spare buttons. Oh for a camera.... these things are a lot nicer than the ones showing at anglers workshop...as they are custom machined by retired tradesmen down south...who can just keep up. They are a hot item for the center-pin crowd on Vancouver Island, and the lower mainland.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 11:30PM

heck if you find any I would epoxy them on, and maybe they would get lost?? This is what is called a high end?? Shaped hypalon, epoxied on?? Just a thought

Date: February 28, 2005 12:10AM

You bet I do, Bill !! I have 3 sizes of buttons, and as soon as my sport tells me what button on what box, I use 5 minute resin, which is tenacious, yet will break down fast with a propane torch if it comes to that, down the road. Cortland has some, but their threads are quite large. Push comes to shove, I'll adapt !! Best, KD
[www.cortlandline.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.234.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:24AM

Ken a thought ( very rair ) If you can find a bolt to fit the threads??? Why not make up one. maybe it would look better, unless they Got To Have the one that goes with it??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster